Offset box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
I am installing insert for parents. I am using an offset box to attach liner to the appliance. I ordered from chimney liner depot. There are two spots were there is a bit of an opening on at the edges of the box...about 1/8 of an inch. Should I just seal these spots with stove cement? Or is it ok? I would think some gases may escape causes a bad situation.

Seal anywhere air can be drawn into it. The cooler air is going to cool the flue gases wrecking the draft and creating creosote accumulations.

How is the chimney gonna be cleaned with that thing in there?

I used to use a noodle brush and a small diameter vacuum hose to clean them out. Alot of times you can disassemble the baffle and check to see if its clean with a mirror and light.

Thanks. I was thinking for cleaning, I would just unhook from liner and stove and clean. It will only be 3 screws to appliance and then the clamp from the offset to the liner. And clean with brush and rope like I do with my liner and cleanout.

Status
Not open for further replies.