Offset chimney brushing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy

Jan 23, 2008
Western Pa.
Long story for a simple question:

I bought a Quad 5700 stove in September and installed it in the basement. I already had a 6" all-fuel chimney that was not being used. I knew I would burn extra wood trying to heat the house from the basement, but I wanted to try it anyway. Well after using the stove for a couple of months, My wife and I are ready to move it upstairs. We have a 30'x30' saltbox house and the front half of the house is one large open room. The 5700 is more stove than I need to heat 1300 square feet, but I think it will work well. To vent the stove, I will install a new 6" all-fuel system up the outside wall. To miss a window and offset out around the soffit, I will need to use two 30 degree angles with a 4' section in between.

Question: Will I have any problem running my brush through this? I bought a 6" poly brush and four 6' 3/8" fiberglass rods to clean the old chimney. Will these rods flex enough to go through the offsets? If need be, I can brush it from both ends easy enough.

I originally wanted to run the flue straight, but that will mean removing a window we like and cutting the soffit. We would need to box this in with framing and siding to make it look right. I could go this route, but I would have to wait until spring and spend a lot more money to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.