Offset chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LbzDmax07

Sep 17, 2015
PA
New here and have a few questions. I am in the process of gathering pieces to install a wood furnace. I have a double masonry chimney meaning upstairs has fireplace and basement has insert currently, all on one chimney. My plans was to line the section to the basement but here is where a possible issue arises. The liner is offset from the box by about a foot and a half or so. Before i buy the liner how flexible really are they? I would hate to buy the liner and not by able to make the bend for it. Or is there another option to line it? Thanks

. Before i buy the liner how flexible really are they?
They are flexible enough to make the bend but the question is how smooth is the transition. There have been many times we have not been able o get a liner down flues like that. At that point we open up the outside of the chimney to clear out any obstructions and guide the liner through

They are flexible enough to make the bend but the question is how smooth is the transition. There have been many times we have not been able o get a liner down flues like that. At that point we open up the outside of the chimney to clear out any obstructions and guide the liner through
There is a few bricks that will need some attention then. Looks like I'll be going the liner route. I think it will work If the liner has some give in it. Thanks

There is a few bricks that will need some attention then. Looks like I'll be going the liner route. I think it will work If the liner has some give in it. Thanks
Maybe you will ave to open it up maybe you wont. There is no way for me to tell with out seeing it. What type of liner are you planning on using?

And i am asuming you are not insulating it. Do you have proper clearance to combustibles?

Was looking to get some forever flex insulated 6". If it wasn't for the liner being so far offset it shouldn't of been a hard install
If you are using Olympias stuff armor flex or hybrid will go through much better and hold up better as well. It is smooth inside and out and a little smaller outside diameter

Status
Not open for further replies.