Oh boy! Got me a widow maker!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
Well we had some pretty strong straight line winds last night and while watching out the door wall I saw this bigun' come down. Turns out it did not come all the way down darn it! Going to be a gem to deal with it at some point but because it is well off the beaten path I think I will see what mother nature can do for me over the winter. A few other limbs dropped as well but nothing a little chainsaw work cannot clean up in a hurry.

Attachments

• DSCF2536.JPG
    DSCF2536.JPG
    415.3 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCF2544.JPG
    DSCF2544.JPG
    540.8 KB · Views: 382
  • widow maker.JPG
    widow maker.JPG
    490.8 KB · Views: 400
Reactions: Shawn Curry
Throw a rope around it and pull it down with a tractor or ATV. That has worked well for me in those instances where my imperfect tree felling skills has resulted in one or two trees cut off and snagged in branches.

Man, that's a big one. If there's foot traffic around, you might want to wrap some crime scene tape around the trees. :eek:

Had a freak storm come through here a couple months back; it broke the tops out of some red maples. Some hit the ground, some stayed in the trees. It's too hot and buggy out there to fuss with 'em right now. Come fall I'll get out there, pull 'em out with the tractor.

In the background, that angled limb is actually teetering on the remainder of the tree it was blown out of.

100_1761.JPG

Yikes! That's gotta be the scariest one I've ever seen! Hopefully the wind can help dislodge it from the other tree, but if there's any foot traffic there, I'd want it down pronto. Wouldn't want to be walking anywhere near that thing. Good luck!

Pulling it out would be difficult. Cut down the damaged part.

Pulling it out would be difficult. Cut down the damaged part.
That would be the most dangerous thing to do. It's a widow maker. There's a reason it's called a widow maker.

Reactions: Fred Wright
widow maker.
What I call widow makers are dead standing, where dead limbs can come off and drop straight down on you when you're falling the tree. Nevertheless, that thing could make a widow. :oops:

Reactions: Fred Wright
Status
Not open for further replies.