Oh Sh!t - Thermonuclear Mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorDL55

Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Broadview Hts, OH
Threw a couple splits into my 30NC today and got a phone call. Walked away for a few minutes with the primary air open the whole way and came back to an @sshole puckering site. Thermonuclear hell fire. Stove top was 850. Took this picture after I shut the air off.

Attachments

• IMG-20110211-00124.jpg
    IMG-20110211-00124.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 708
....waiting for the Soupy chime in.....

I guess this means the paint is officially baked in.

i have wet dreams about stove temps such as those..okay well just closer too.

BeGreen said:
I guess this means the paint is officially baked in.

Yes -- don't think I will be getting any more curing paint odor....

That's brought me back to the stove -- that unforgettable smell.

I used to run my Encore in our showroom at 800-900 for years on end. Helps when you have the parts in stock to rebuild the firebacks

Sounds like an Italian sports car. Runs like a demon as long as you have an Italian mechanic along with you.

BeGreen said:
Sounds like an Italian sports car. Runs like a demon as long as you have an Italian mechanic along with you.

Ah yes. Fiat. Fix It Again Tony.

My Magnolia has seen those temps and higher everyday since I put it in service. I have a couple cracked firebricks (don't know if that has anything to do with temps) and thats all for now. If a cheap China built stove can take it surely that well built American stove can. Mine does that with primary off, mainly running on the secondaries.

GatorDL55 said:
Threw a couple splits into my 30NC today and got a phone call. Walked away for a few minutes with the primary air open the whole way and came back to an @sshole puckering site. Thermonuclear hell fire. Stove top was 850. Took this picture after I shut the air off.

Nice! I take it was warm enough for you?

This is where a blower is a handy thing. It can take the stove top down 100-150F pretty quickly.

The first time mine did that I got pretty concerned. The temp had pegged at 850 and I just knew I was ruining my brand new stove. I got a metal wash tub and welding gloves and proceeded to unload it. Closing the primary did not even slow it down. Now I just close the primary and let her cook. That temp you are showing doesn't scare me or my stove at least not anymore. My wife wishes she would have videoed me freaking out and them unloading a roaring stove.

I just have a question about the 30NC. Is there a steel plate above the baffle that acts as a buffer to the stove top? In looking at my Summit, this is what I see and was wondering if this is why I cant get the stovetop temp above 570 even when fire is raging.

in the 30 you have the 4 tubes resting on that are 2 sheets of ceramic insulation plates. there is a steel baffle at about a 40deg angle extending down from the top of the stove at apx where the step is. this is in front of the exhaust exit across the width of the fire box. that is all that is up there. I do not know if what I see up there is the top plate of stove or not, would have to get a mirror behind that baffle to tell. I will guess about a 1" gap from the angled plate to the top of the ceramic baffle plates when everything is in place. I know I have had mine pretty hot on occasion but with the blower on I do not believe I ever pegged the Rutland. The infared gun has never indicated anything over 700. I am likely a little more cautious as years ago on my old stove I had the double wall pipe to the ceiling transition glowing red 2/3 of the way up. This in my trailer at the time, scared the h___ of of me. Air tight stove my a__. Took quite awhile for that too cool down with me waitin to see if the whole shebang was going to disappear in a black cloud like my neighbors a short time before that. ( their's was caused by an electrical short at 2 in the morning middle of winter) Was using cutt offs from pallets at the time box was stuffed full.

lillyrat said:
I just have a question about the 30NC. Is there a steel plate above the baffle that acts as a buffer to the stove top? In looking at my Summit, this is what I see and was wondering if this is why I cant get the stovetop temp above 570 even when fire is raging.

Good question, but a separate topic and issue. Can you post this to a new thread so that it can be discussed in detail?

My Quad steel insert has seen north of 800 several times - I've replaced a few firebricks and have a small crack in the baffle, but everything else is ok.

you can always take a box fan and set it next to the stove and turn it on. It does help bring it down quickly along with shutting the air down.

Exactly why I keep a pedestal fan a few feet from the stove.....pointing right at it.
Anytime it starts the nuclear meltdown mode, on goes the fan. Temps drop very quickly.

FWIW we have that same magnetic thermo and ours reads 100+ degrees higher than actual surface temp. when compared
to our IR thermometer reading right next to it. Funny, the magnetic thermo reads correctly until about 650 or so, then takes off reading way too high over that. We tend to trust the IR unit more. Hope this sets your mind at ease a bit.

On the 30 make sure those two baffle boards are pushed together in the middle or the blast goes up between them to the stove top.

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

Ah yes. Fiat. Fix It Again Tony.
Thats no lie! I owned one, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.