Oil burner zone valve not working?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Seems as though, when my hot water heater fires up by the furnace (Energy Kenetics system 2000) my one zone valve is staying open allowing hot water to enter the baseboard heating run. This is with the heating controls (on the thermostat off or on and the setting well below automatic)
Is it just me or does everything seem to work against us.
Two questions-
There is a manual gate type valve directly above the zone valve. If I shut this manusal valve, is there any compromise I should be concerned with?
It's a Invensys pop top control valve # vt2317g13a030 I was quoted $200 just for the valve. Does anyone know of a replacement that is less costly? I will install it myself.

Moving to the boiler room, as there are more ZV experts there... One thing I'd look at is whether it is the valve itself that is bad, or just the actuator - What I've heard is that in most cases the valves hold up pretty well, but the actuators that drive them, and can usually be replaced separately, are fairly frequent failure items...

I would also make sure that it is the valve itself that is bad, and not the control circuitry - are you sure the valve is getting the proper open/close signals and power?

Gooserider

What goose said. I've had to replace a couple of the motors in the zone controllers. About $50 each and an hour of time. Spray a little lube on it and feel underneath if there is a manual-type arm you can move to unstick it.

Aaron, I checked the # again, it is correct vt2317g13a030

Status
Not open for further replies.