Oil Furnace - turn on occasionally or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FireWalker said:
We are having the coldest morning of the season right now (-10). My furnace was running from 3am on and the stove was crusing at 300. I went back to sleep but couldn't take it anymore by 5 so I got up and stoked the stove and went back to sleep for an hour. When I got up it was 70 in my main space and mid 60s in the back where my thermostat is, I kicked the stove up to high and let it go hotter than I ever had. The new stove smell happened again and I closed to half reading 450 on the pipe. After 45 min I was up to 75 and the air was getting to the back thus keeping the oil monster at bay. I've been waiting for this morning to test this stove. It just can't heat my whole house to 70 but it can if pushed a little make a whole lot of heat. I have yet to let it run a full load at more than 1/2 throttle as my main space gets too hot, and I start to chicken out running near max temps.
I'm now at work in Glens Falls, temp outside -18. It's so cold the closer on my office door (alum. & glass) won't work and the door slams shut shaking the whole building and I expect the glass to break any time now.
Firewalker go on and push that bad boy all the way man.I still say that in line pipe damper will give you even more heat and longer heat.Those temperatures would propel me to max that joker to it's limit.Don't chicken out get it done.

BeGreen said:
I would definitely cycle the furnace occasionally. You want to be sure it works well when you need it if you get sick or injured or it's just damn cold out.

Didn`t even have to read thru the whole thread to agree with this opinion. Just common sense!

We have an old American Standard boiler that is now 35 years old and we still have an annual maintenance check once a year.And guess what, it still doesn`t need to be replaced. Simple--because we maintane it and use it for up to 125 gallons of oil per season. Just enough usage to keep it in top form.

Unless you have a wide open floor plan that lends itself to strictly wood heat? You are only fooling yourself to not think you will not need an occasoinal boost from old faithful??

Now, trying to determine which is more economical in a mild climate such as this one--Crap, I still haven`t managed to figure this one out.? Or maybe just being too lazy to bother :roll:

I just know that like today, where it is 40F outside and 62F inside (too chilly imo).. I have the boiler kicking on at 4pm to bring the upstairs temps to 70F. All the while, the insert is burning downstairs, and once the temps are up?? Will manage to keep them there for the most part.

Programable thermostat is an awesome tool.!!

Hi dottie oil will go bad in your tanks . If there is water in the tank it happens pretty fast . You will grow algae that turns to sluge if you don't use the tanks they should be filled to the top or totally empty . If you are heating with wood you could use just 1 tank . There is a additive to put in the tank to stabilize the fuel . Once the algae takes over its hard to clean it out and it will clog your oil filter between the tank and the furnace. I would run my gas furnace Christmas morning wile the kids opened there presents. It was nice to have it kick on a few times a day so you dont burn so much wood but I would come home from work and the familey would be sitting next to a cold stove with the hot air fernice cranking and the doors open . I turned off the gas years ago and never used it again . John

Status
Not open for further replies.