Oil in air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msherer

Burning Hunk
Dec 9, 2010
IL
i have a generator that I rarely use and this AM I went to fire it up and it wouldn't start. I haven't tried to start it for probably 6 months. Full of gas, choke on, fuel line open and it turns over (electric start) but won't fire. I took the air filter out and noticed a little bit of oil in the housing. I assume that isn't right? The generator only has a total of 55 minutes on the hour meter so it's practically new. Any thoughts?

Matt

I wouldn't worry too much about a bit of oil there; it's probably blowby of new engine whose rings haven't seated yet.
Check for spark, drain and replace fuel. Did you have the fuel valve shut off, or was it left open all summer? Your carb may be gummed up by stale gas. Pull the plug (to check for spark) and see if it's wet, oily, etc. Let us know what you find.

Well, i spat a bit of starting fluid in the air intake and it fired right up.....seems to be working fine.

FYI,
Most newer engine have a "pcv" like emission device that intentionally ventilates the crankcase into the air cleaner. JUst make sure you clean or change your aircleaner regularly. When they get dirty or to oily they will draw more air from the crankcase than the atmosphere and make the engine smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.