Oil Win's!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet-King

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2008
Northern Ct
Fired up for the hell of it the Pellet stove last night, first cleaning in almost a yr, grabbed a few bag's of a small stash of AWF White Pines, woke up running on a 2 overnight, living room 66, next room over 59, FREEZING, floors cold everything cold, turned it off cranked up the oil heat, It felt warmer leaving the oil furnace at 62 yesterday than it does now......

Reactions: Cory S
Fired up for the hell of it the Pellet stove last night, first cleaning in almost a yr, grabbed a few bag's of a small stash of AWF White Pines, woke up running on a 2 overnight, living room 66, next room over 59, FREEZING, floors cold everything cold, turned it off cranked up the oil heat, It felt warmer leaving the oil furnace at 62 yesterday than it does now......
Yeah well central heat is just that, it's always more even. I couldn't heat this house with the stove set at level 2 anyway, not when it's 21 outside anyway. Fine when it's 37 out. I like the feeling of the stove going in the living room, but I don't try to starve it.

Was there ever a competition? I have gas down the Cape and oil at my main residence. Oil is faster, hotter, overall a more comfortable heat.

Reactions: Cory S
I guess it depends on what type of system you use. My house is heated by a hot water, cast iron radiator system that burns oil. There are radiators in every room. I find that the pellet stove is a warmer heat. I usually set my stove to maintain a temperature of 72 degrees in the room where it is located. I have a small 4x4 fan located in the corner doorway to circulate the hot air down the hall. It stays about 68 degrees in the outside rooms. Last Sunday I shut down my pellet stove for its weekly cleaning. I set the oil furnace at 72 degrees while my stove was off. I got busy doing other things and kept the stove off for about 4 hours. My mom came in at one point and asked when I was going to start the stove because it was cold in the house. The temperature was still 72 degrees from the furnace and the radiators were hot, it just doesn't feel as warm as the stove. Central forced warm air may be different but for my home, the pellet stove does a better job.

I guess it depends on what type of system you use. My house is heated by a hot water, cast iron radiator system that burns oil. There are radiators in every room. I find that the pellet stove is a warmer heat. I usually set my stove to maintain a temperature of 72 degrees in the room where it is located. I have a small 4x4 fan located in the corner doorway to circulate the hot air down the hall. It stays about 68 degrees in the outside rooms. Last Sunday I shut down my pellet stove for its weekly cleaning. I set the oil furnace at 72 degrees while my stove was off. I got busy doing other things and kept the stove off for about 4 hours. My mom came in at one point and asked when I was going to start the stove because it was cold in the house. The temperature was still 72 degrees from the furnace and the radiators were hot, it just doesn't feel as warm as the stove. Central forced warm air may be different but for my home, the pellet stove does a better job.
Same here, hot water, cast iron base-ray wall registers in every room. Buderus furnace, riello burner. I would need 3 stoves to match it.

right now i only have the pellets, but my best setup was when i had my oil furnace and the stove. I'd use the thermostat timer and have the furnace come on right before it was time to get out of bed and then shut off 30 mins before i'd leave for work.

Then i would use it manually depending on the weather. anything below 10 f and the stove need a bit of help. I'd rather not get a new furnace at this point i'd get a bigger better stove and retire my pdvc 25 to the dining room as a backup unit or run both if we have one of those polar vortex deals again.

I also just read the price of oil fell dramaticially today. I filled up my car for 16 bucks. I wonder just how low oil and gas is going to go. The cheapest i've seen it in my lifetime was 99 cents a gal many years ago. be nice if i could see that again. at that price i dont know why we even ever bothered turning the car off. lol

Oil may continue to go till your 401k is gone. It going this low is not at all good for most of us even though the short term feeling at the pump is great.
I filled up the car yesterday at 1.59

Oil may continue to go till your 401k is gone. It going this low is not at all good for most of us even though the short term feeling at the pump is great.
The financial guy we use for our retirement funds ( we are retired) set up a meeting with us today to discuss moving some things around . Oh Boy ! But at least he is on it.

I got my folks into some Insurance funds last fall. They are happy with the more conservative $$ that are still coming in. I am looking at something to do with infrastructure rebuilding, like pipe companies. So much of the country needs new sewer and water pipes. The low water use toilets are eating the concrete pipes up way ahead of time.

Wait, a year ago it was 60% higher and I don't remember my investments being significantly higher.

When I started fueling a vehicle it was 17 cents a gallon including trading stamps, when prices grew to 35 cents/ gal oh it was terrible the gouging of the oil companies and on and on through the years, course now with about 19 cent fed tax and apx 33 cents state / gal - whos doing the gouging? heard that oil co. only make apx 4 cents a gal on fuel so that leaves the station and the distributors divying up that apx $1/gal. thats left. Its been bandied about that stations only makes around a 5 cents a gal . ( don't know if that is correct) so that leaves the distributors as the bad guys. They swear they are only making a nickel a gal also. so where is the other $.90 disappearing to?

Last edited:
When I started fueling a vehicle it was 17 cents a gallon including trading stamps, when prices grew to 35 cents/ gal oh it was terrible the gouging of the oil companies and on and on through the years, course now with about 19 cent fed tax and apx 33 cents state / gal - whos doing the gouging? heard that oil co. only make apx 4 cents a gal on fuel so that leaves the station and the distributors divying up that apx $1/gal. thats left. Its been bandied about that stations only makes around a 5 cents a gal . ( don't know if that is correct) so that leaves the distributors as the bad guys. They swear they are only making a nickel a gal also. so where is the other $.90 disappearing to?
Ya, and the tax collector squeaky clean ?

I got my folks into some Insurance funds last fall. They are happy with the more conservative $$ that are still coming in. I am looking at something to do with infrastructure rebuilding, like pipe companies. So much of the country needs new sewer and water pipes. The low water use toilets are eating the concrete pipes up way ahead of time.
We don't have time to wait for the toilets to start flushing again or pipes to be rebuilt, LOL ! We're front and center right now. Like today is the day. Nah, we will see what the guy suggests.

I do have a small 401k too that I need to do something with as well, like today also. That's my little slush fund, except it hasn't made any slush, so I might as well protect it for now !

The low water use toilets are eating the concrete pipes up way ahead of time.

I would like to know more about this.
Been several stories about the problem in the Minneapolis/StPaul area and they are having to replace many years ahead of time. Mostly they are pushing thru plastic pipe without having to rip up streets. so would look at the companies that have or are making that tech and the pipe.

I'm a long way from Minneapolis/St. Paul, but I'm not grasping how low flow toilets could cause concrete pipes to deteriorate sooner. Years sooner? First I've heard of that one.

Not enough water to dilute the mix raising the acid content.

Not enough water to dilute the mix raising the acid content.
Hmmm, did a moose pee and poop in that water and how far up stream. Never mind.

Lived on the Rum river in MN. The river would turn brown in the fall with all the tannin from the leaves. Miss eating all the Small mouth Bass.

I didn't see where you included the actual cost of extraction, and subsequent refining.

Status
Not open for further replies.