OK fellers, need one more bit of advice re chimney insulation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
I am ordering the chimney liner for the Summit insert.
26' from top of clay liner to existing fireplace floor.
Looking at this:
5 pc 6" dura liner double wall insulated rigid @ 4' each = roughly 19'6" after deducting laps.
extend a cap kit, includes cap, top plate, storm collar and clamp.
5' of 6" dura flex from rigid to insert, will set close to mid first clay tile liner after smoke shelf.
straight 6" stove adapter.
I might get a pc of 2' rigid also, to make sure I get out the top of the chimney.

I want the rigid in where I can get it. Its insulated so no need to mess with insulation & mesh.
My question is, Do I have to insulate the flex?
Remember, it will run from insert to roughly first clay tile above smoke shelf, connecting then to the insulated rigid.
I would rather not insulate the lower flex if not necessary. That's roughly another $200.00.
I will be making a block off plate (smile Elk, you've made an impact;) )and trying to get some approved insulation for above it. Any suggestions & where to purchase?

No insulation is needed on the flex ss pipe from the damper block off plate to stove flue collar Same answer the last time. Did you threw out the kaowool that was stuffed with the old insert then why not use it above the damper plate?

elkimmeg said:
No insulation is needed on the flex ss pipe from the damper block off plate to stove flue collar Same answer the last time. Did you threw out the kaowool that was stuffed with the old insert then why not use it above the damper plate?

The flex will go a foot or 2 above the damper block off plate. To around the middle of first flue tile. No problem leaving it uninsulated to that point? Sorry to be a pest, just want to be sure.

No, I kept the insualtion that I took out of the old plate. Its only about 1" maybe 1-1/2" thick. Is that enough? It also has the rectangular hole in it that was set a bit more forward then the new flew collar, can I manipulate it, reshape it to work around the new round hole? Sorry to sound stupid, I just want to do it right the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.