OK, here's my floor plan let the advice begin ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tsquini said:
You have cold air returns in the basement? If so, get the cold air returns to pull the hot air from the basement to the rest of the house. You can cut back the air flow into the first floor cold air returns by 50%. This will pull more air from the basement into the rest of the house.

-- or --

Just place 3 floor vents in the hallway on the first floor. You could also place a floor vent in each room on the first floor. This way the heat doesn't have to go all the way to the stairs and up.

Some good ideas. Which room(s) would you suggest cutting back on the cold air return.

Regards the 3 floor vents in the hallway on first floor ..... are you talking heating vents or just "vents"?

Boozie said:
tsquini said:
You have cold air returns in the basement? If so, get the cold air returns to pull the hot air from the basement to the rest of the house. You can cut back the air flow into the first floor cold air returns by 50%. This will pull more air from the basement into the rest of the house.

-- or --

Just place 3 floor vents in the hallway on the first floor. You could also place a floor vent in each room on the first floor. This way the heat doesn't have to go all the way to the stairs and up.

Some good ideas. Which room(s) would you suggest cutting back on the cold air return.

Regards the 3 floor vents in the hallway on first floor ..... are you talking heating vents or just "vents"?

All of them at first. Not all the way. Just so you are pulling more air from the basement. To cut back the air just place tape over the back of the vents.
As for the floor vents, just use plane vents.

tsquini said:
Boozie said:
tsquini said:

-- or --

All of them at first. Not all the way. Just so you are pulling more air from the basement. To cut back the air just place tape over the back of the vents.
As for the floor vents, just use plane vents.

I have some magnetic floor register covers I can use on them. As for the "floor vents" ..... you say just use plane vents ..... should they be those "melting" kind in case of fire? And if so, how do I search for those .... I'm sure I can't input "melting vents". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.