OK, how much wood can you fit in a truck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
So I'm giving directions to someone whom I've never seen or heard of so that he can drop off 2 cords of unsplit rounds at my house for $125. I'm looking to jumpstart 2011 because I'm not going to have time this Summer. I ask him what kind of truck he's driving and he says "F150". Red flags start going off and I ask him how many trips it will take and he says two, at which point I mention there's no way he could possibly fit cord of wood in a 1/2 ton truck. He mentions its more compact because it hasn't been split yet. I ask him if he knows a cord of green oak is in the neighborhood of 5000lbs. He hangs up and doesn't call back.

What kind of a truck would it take to deliver 2 cords of hardwood? That's close to 5 tons. I can't see stuffing that into a 1 ton, even if its a drw.

Given the price and the truck, he was probably talking face cords.

A dump truck or a heavy duty trailer will carry 10K lbs. I sure as heck wouldn't put it in the bed.

Matt

Weight wise.....maybe 5/8 a cord of green oak....the truck will float in the front and bottom out in the back. I have found that Firewood Guys don't like to sell cord wood to people that know what a cord actually is.....Mike

I would think your red flags should have started going off when you first heard the price . 2 cords of oak for $125,,,, delivered???
I cut, transport, split and stack my own wood, so I know very well the work involved, but I do it for fun and exercise (and to heat the house). But if I knew someone who was trying to cut firewood to earn a living and support his family I would be ashamed to pay anybody less than $200 a cord cut and delivered unless there were extenuating circumstances, like if he was an arborist and was already making cutting down the tree and just needed a place to get rid of the wood, or something similar.

Definitely sounds like he was talking face cords. When I get over 1000# in my 1/2 ton Ranger, I know for sure and that is with Timbrens. We had 2 cords of dry, split wood delivered last year. It was in a large, straight sided dump truck that had about a 14' bed on it.

when i load my truck up with rounds it will equal about 3/4 of a cord once split. But this is with a 3/4 ton that don't mind the weight at all. If i were to build sides on the truck and take the stacks and tool box out i bet i could get a full cord of rounds in it. It would be way over the legal weight of the truck though.

Here is how mine is usually loaded but i have my tool box in the truck.

so to fit 2 cords it would take something a lot larger than 1 ton pickup.

IMG_0321.jpg

Is there a round in the front seat or is there rounds stacked in fron t of the truck that wee can see thru the glass??

It was $125/cord. I'm not opposed to paying more if its the real thing, but right about $150 is when I stop buying for two years ahead. I'm sure it was someone who didn't know cordwood. I think I'm almost at the point where "you get what you pay for" but I thought for sure with all this wind we'd have some better pickin's.

f3cbboy said:
Is there a round in the front seat or is there rounds stacked in fron t of the truck that wee can see thru the glass??

its the reflection off the glass. I am not that desperate for space haha.

I have had a cord on my 3/4 f250 . I have side boards and pile to the top of the cab from the cab to the tailgate . I scaled in at 10,200 . Truck weighs in at 5100 that was 5100 lbs on its back . My GVW allows me to actually haul 8600 so I was a bit over . Most 1 tons will easily haul cord of wood especially if it is a DRW .

Don't know if this helps at all, but I just picked up 3 loads of cut and split oak in my 1/2 ton with a 6 ft bed. The first load I just tossed in and the 2nd and 3rd I stacked neatly. The wood was just over the top of the bed, not nearly as high as Archer39's pics, but good loads nonetheless. I paid $150 and it was supposed to be 1 1/2 cords. I haven't stacked it yet to find out.

fyrwoodguy said:
truck with round wood is a good "fat cord"

th_SPRINGPUTTOGETHER100.jpg

here's 2 cord 16" ;-)

th_CHECKPHOTOS085.jpg

nice looking old chevy. it looks like it just come out of the showroom.

Here's a picture of 1/2 cord stacked in a fullsize 8' bed that I copied from a CL ad. A full cord is a lot for a 1/2 ton truck.
5cordinatruck1jpg.jpg

5cordinatruck2jpg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.