1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ok I am tired of the square split question so here it is lol !

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Pallet Pete, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

A buddy of mine came over today and hung out and then popped the question ! How do you do that !
    There really is very very little since involved with this. Just split the round in half or quarters or whatever like normal and put the flat side on the beam and split away. Putting the round side on the beam makes it harder to control and does not help with square splits. The real squares happen when the split is to tall and needs to be split in half again. ;) They won't all be square but mostly uniform which is all I am after anyway.

That is ash that was cut at Dennis property last year and to my surprise it was lying in plain sight ! I thought it was the perfect piece for the demo ::-). Thanks Dennis my friend !

Pete

Attached Files:

Backwoods Savage, ScotO and raybonz like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MarylandGuy

MarylandGuy Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    Funny, but I generally split all my wood squared. I find it's much easier to do. Though I admit it's not as attractive as triangled wood. I never have an issue burning it.

There are times where I may come across a nice load of oak rounds. I generally triangle that wood just in case I decide to sell a cord to fund my chainsaw addiction. I figure people are looking for firewood to look a certain way.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    If the round is big enough, I always do the squares. I use a maul though, but same idea. Having flat sides lets me load em tight and get more in if I want to. It works especially well with ash since it splits so nice. For my typical size rounds (20 to 30 inches) I whack two opposite ends off then make all "squares" from what's left.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I get as many square and thick slab splits out of a tree as I can. Triangle splits are a pain in the butt for large night loads.
    jeff_t likes this.
  5. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Square splits rock, for burning, and stacking. Yer buddy prolly needs the extra air space between the funky splits to get the wet ones burning.
  6. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    I'm a square kind of guy. I like stackin' em in the back of the stove, solid :)

I always like to split some thin slabs too, so I can slide 'em in on top to fill out a load.
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Nope good dry wood just curious because he does a lot by hand. I don't recall saying anything about wet wood !

Pete
  8. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Ah, good. I still don't know anyone with a supply of dry wood.

I like them for the cross stacks. Much easier to do with the splitter, so you get a uniform thickness.
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I make some of each.....squares and 'triangles'. I like to use the squares for stitching the ends of the stacks and periodically in the middle of the stacks (around every 8' or so) to strenghthen the stack. The squared-off splits are easy to cross stitch the ends...
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I like to make octagons and heptagons. ;)
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You are welcome Pete.

A true square split does not have the angle of a triangle. If that piece you are splitting in the picture were bigger, rather than splitting it down the middle, I'd split some off both sides. Then you'd have 2 triangles and 1 square. Like BB said, squares really are nice loading in the stove especially when it is cold and when you need long fires. You can pack them in tight that way.
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Good point Dennis it is just set where it would not fall. It did not occur to me to point that out !

Pete
  13. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Try as I might I always manage trapeziums, trapezoids and parallelograms .
    Squares don't roll and shift as often too.;hm