Ok I feel kinda stupid!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Labrat

Feb 6, 2011
Coastal Maine
I came home to wife running the Oil burner! She tells me it got cold. I go downstairs to check the PF100 to find that somehow I managed to mangle the hopper lid prop. Now the furnace won't start up! Im sure there must be some sort of a switch at the bottom of of the rod chute that it just cant touch now. So I've gotta track one down (already PM'd Eric to have him run me one down) or find a way to modify the rod until i get the replacement. Just thought I would share my own stupid. Hopefully someone can laugh and say " yep I did something similar to that myself. Maybe we should start listing our pellet related "OOPS"

Everybody does stupid things? Like the time last season that I had started to clean my Casitle and somehow I started the stove. I think the thermostat had timed out and gone back to the heat mode.
Normally no biggie just shut the thermostat down so only the combustion fan is running like I normally do.

Somehow in the "HEAT" of the moment as I was cleaning I saw something that distracted me and I reached in the open ash door, up toward the burn pot, and pressed my finger onto the hot ignitor :ahhh:

That's when I realized that doing the highland fling isn't learned it's genetic!

smalltown said:
Everybody does stupid things? Like the time last season that I had started to clean my Casitle and somehow I started the stove. I think the thermostat had timed out and gone back to the heat mode.
Normally no biggie just shut the thermostat down so only the combustion fan is running like I normally do.

Somehow in the "HEAT" of the moment as I was cleaning I saw something that distracted me and I reached in the open ash door, up toward the burn pot, and pressed my finger onto the hot ignitor :ahhh:

That's when I realized that doing the highland fling isn't learned it's genetic!

Only if the pipes were playing ;-) .

Stupid is as stupid does...I have a giant blister on my finger from trying to open the decorative doors on my stove this weekend. Who would have thought cast iron that's a 1/4" away from the glass would have been hot!! Have to add skin removal from cast iron door to my cleaning regiment this week!! :red:

I think we all have had a few oops's a long the way. That's how we learn. As much as I call them toys, There are safety concerns associated with these space heaters. Many are listed in the manual, And are common mistakes. Some we learn on our own. Safety first! ;-)

How many have hit a hot spot on the stove with the pellet bag? Nice stinky mess and what a PITA to get whats left off. I have also learned to load my stoves from the side. Sides are usually cooler and no burned you know what's.

j-takeman said:
I think we all have had a few oops's a long the way. That's how we learn. As much as I call them toys, There are safety concerns associated with these space heaters. Many are listed in the manual, And are common mistakes. Some we learn on our own. Safety first! ;-)

How many have hit a hot spot on the stove with the pellet bag? Nice stinky mess and what a PITA to get whats left off. I have also learned to load my stoves from the side. Sides are usually cooler and no burned you know what's.

x2!

ivanhoe said:
j-takeman said:

x2!

Reminds of the holiday song chet's nuts roasting on an open fire.

Eatonpcat said:
Stupid is as stupid does...I have a giant blister on my finger from trying to open the decorative doors on my stove this weekend. Who would have thought cast iron that's a 1/4" away from the glass would have been hot!! Have to add skin removal from cast iron door to my cleaning regiment this week!! :red:

Didn't you also set your tighty whiteys on fire last weekend

How about: Ok it's time to install the OAK...Measure over from stud...man this guy did a great job taping and spackling...OK 12 inches...we can use the hole saw here...3 inch hole saw....Good.. no stud after cutting thru sheet-rock...seeing the sparks and the light go out...priceless... damnsky...never thought that a wire might be here.....oh yeah I've got some more to tell too...

TLHinCanada said:
Eatonpcat said:

Didn't you also set your tighty whiteys on fire last weekend

What can I say...It was a bad week!!! :coolhmm:

Reminds of the holiday song chet's nuts roasting on an open fire.[/quote] Thats funny!!

h2ochild said:
How about: Ok it's time to install the OAK...Measure over from stud...man this guy did a great job taping and spackling...OK 12 inches...we can use the hole saw here...3 inch hole saw....Good.. no stud after cutting thru sheet-rock...seeing the sparks and the light go out...priceless... damnsky...never thought that a wire might be here.....oh yeah I've got some more to tell too...

glad you posted this.
i was going to post "i would have felt stupid. but instead i just feel lucky"

i did a test hole w/ a nail centered with where the vent pipe goes through the wall up high.
ok that's a clear shot. i didn't make any other test holes. i just assumed i'd be good if i came up far enough
then i came up 3 or 4 inches from the molding and drilled with the 2 1/2 " hole saw to make the inner hole for the oak.
no wires. no studs. but the bottom of the hole was like 1/32" above a plate/horizontal stud. i mean, that thing was way higher than i assumed it could have been.
so i guess that's perfect. right? lol
whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.