OK to burn old stockade fence?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

av8roc

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2009
Long Island, NY
Took a guess at which forum to post this in, Mods I apologize if it needs to be moved.

Just took down 3 8' sections of stockade fence from my property because it was starting to rot and fall down. I know you are not supposed to burn treated lumber and I have to assume of couse that it was but would I be ok considering how old it is?

It's old, dry, grey and some planks are rotted. Since this is my first year heating with wood I am desperate for dry wood and I thought it would make good kindling.

Thanks

I personally would not burn treated lumber regardless of age. Perhaps others will chime in with "how much" chemical may be left in the old stuff....

Cedrusdeodara said:
No way!!! Do not do it!!! Very high in arsenic.

Visit this link and scroll down a couple of paragraphs and read where it says "Burning".

http://www.origen.net/ccawood.html

I read that if the fence is light grey in color it was most likely never pressure treated. Fence posts for sure but the panels may not have been.

I don't think I will risk it. I have access to a ton of old pallets as well.

I would not burn treated wood no matter how old. Same goes for painted, varnished etc . Damage is not worth the gain.
Try the local lumber yard they usually have scraps they are looking to get rid of or get some pallets they work great for kindling and burn real hot.

Pallets could be pressure treated, or treated with who knows what, so care to be taken on that route too.

I would skip any wood that was pressure treated or painted . . . however, there is a possibility that this wood was natural cedar and it may have been left in its natural state. It may be hard to tell however if it was treated or not by this point.

As mentioned, pallets are free and are great for the first year burner -- makes good kindling and helps in getting those fires going when you're using less than ideally seasoned firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.