Ok to install insert without elevating the stove with legs/bricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scivi92

Jan 8, 2015
Cleveland, OH
Hello All.
I've installed a Lopi Answer insert in my masonry fireplace. I'm curious if I need to elevate the stove in some way to allow free combustion air flow into the firebox?
There is a rectangle shape cut out at the bottom dead center of the stove, it's just not cut all the way through as in, the rectangular piece is still attached. If I were to move it back and forth it'd seem to come off as the pieces of a model air plane would. Anyways.
I'm wondering if this is a bottom intake and it shouldn't be smothered by the stove sitting directly on the floor of the fireplace.

The previous owner told me he had it elevated on bricks, but didn't say why.

Do you think I should elevate the stove?

Thanks!

I don't think that is necessary with the Answer insert unless you want to use the ash drop as an outside air supply. Is the inside of the fireplace slightly lower than the hearth in front? That might have been why the previous owner had it up on bricks, or perhaps it just looked better to them? not sure.

Reactions: scivi92
Ok so that is an ash drop, thank you so much! Sorry when I said previous owner I was trying to say I bought the stove from someone else's house and installed it at my own house. I'll just leave it as is without the legs/bricks. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.