ok to use 2" galvanized for pellet stove intake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

phxwolf

Nov 22, 2020
AZ
im needing 20 ft to reach outside for air intake for pellet stove, and the air intake kits do not reach that far......i found 2" galvanized in long lengths for decent price. is there any issues with that? thnx

I'm using 2" aluminized car exhaust pipe that I took measurements to muffler shop and had him "bend" for me, screen mesh over outside end and away from flue exit.

Reactions: Ssyko and phxwolf
What kind of stove is it? Make and model? Using a smaller than recommended ID could stress your combustion motor.

Reactions: tbear853
My old Vermont Castings 2220 Reliance has a 2" OD air intake, for a few years I used room air, I added the exterior air intake with the new 2" OD exhaust pipe bent by local muffler shop later, connected to stove with rubber radiator hose section & clamps (as it does not get so hot). The "was exhaust pipe /now intake pipe" comes into the house same wall thimble as Dura Vent exits, in 2" OD holes cut with hole saw in upper corners of inside & outside plates (fit like was made for it). Sealed with orange RTV on outside with a dab of black paint, but black would have been ok for cool outside air intake passage. Screen wire over the end keeps bugs, birds, snakes, scorpions and fish out of pipe. Put the air intake well away from the flue exit.

Reactions: phxwolf
Whatever you have that fits will work for an OAK

Reactions: Ssyko
I used the tubing below.
Connect the pieces using an exhaust system connector, high heat silicone and hose clamps. The stove model limits the run to 15 '. Went straight up the fireplace flue with the chimney liner. Followed the stove manufacturer's directions that the FAK had to be lower than exhaust and at least 12 inches apart. Made a special cap to accommodate both.
BTW, if you have never used Supply House, they are a great company to do business with.

What kind of stove is it? Make and model? Using a smaller than recommended ID could stress your combustion motor.
What stresses your combustion fan motor is not keeping the plenum and venting clean, not the FAK piping.

I used the tubing below.
Connect the pieces using an exhaust system connector, high heat silicone and hose clamps. The stove model limits the run to 15 '. Went straight up the fireplace flue with the chimney liner. Followed the stove manufacturer's directions that the FAK had to be lower than exhaust and at least 12 inches apart. Made a special cap to accommodate both.
BTW, if you have never used Supply House, they are a great company to do business with.
Thanks so much, ordered it last night, with the 5ft.kit I needed exactly 15 ft more intake to reach the wall.

Reactions: tbear853
Wow,I disagree with some of you.As an example,take a 1" section of pipe,6" long,clamp your lips around it an breath in.Now, take a 1" section 10 foot long and try it. Right out of the England's manual--
"NOTE: If the total run of the connection exceeds 6’, if more than 2 elbows are used, or if a basement installation, use 3” metal pipe (and coupler) instead. "