1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Ok to use a ZC fireplace without its grate?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Woodrow, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow New Member

Loc:
    Virginia
    I have a new FPX36 ZC fireplace and it came with a traditional grate. Wondering if it's ok to use the fireplace without the grate altogether. It kinda gets in the way and makes it difficult to more fully load the firebox (i.e. it gobbles up cubic feet). Is it really necessary? Is it ok to make the fire without it? Once things get going I don't see that it adds much utility. Seems like a lot of stove users dont even have grates, so I'm wondering if it's really necessary.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SouthernBreeze

SouthernBreeze New Member

Loc:
    SE TN
    I have the FPX36 as well. I ditched the grate pretty quickly also to gain volume with no ill effects. This is my 1st year burning so I may have some problems with the bottom fire bricks later but so far so good.
  3. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I have installed and services several of the FPX's. Most of the units wore out the grate pretty quick and were never replaced for the same reasons that you mentioned. I haven't see any ill effects. Besides it all firebrick, no different than a stove.