Ok, you've convinced me to add a block off plate.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you argue the opposite for a central/interior chimney?

I have an interior chimney and put a block-off plate in. I cannot tell how much of a difference it makes since I never burned without but why heat the attic and outside? The installation takes maybe one hour and lasts 20+ years; one of the simplest energy efficiency improvements I ever made.

Reactions: davidmsem
20141119_191315.jpg Cardboard cutout made.....

I don't think I'm going to do the block off plate. Going to put a blanket on the flue and put Rolex at the top to create an air barrier to the outside. I'm okay with losing a bit of heat.....I've run an open fireplace for twenty years so this will be a huge improvement.

This is a mistake you are likely to regret.

This is a mistake you are likely to regret.

Hello mstoelton ........I'm not sure you got the gist of the thread......I AM doing a block off plate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.