Okay I believe I have decided on what I want, any thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smilejamaica said:
chuckster said:
I have a Harman XXV and love it. It does take maintenance though. I have to empty a full ash pan every week, clean the glass every other day ( that could go longer but I hate dirty glass) and once a week do a thorough scraping and vacuuming of the interior plus twice a day I scrape ash build up out of the fire box. I seem to get a lot of ash. Probably because I'm not to fussy about the pellets I buy. Anything that HD, Lowes or Sams Club are pushing. I don't notice much difference in heat output of the different pellets just ash output.
Chuck :)
if i was ever to buy another stove i would definitely buy the harmen xxv i just love that stove

Good to see another Allman Brothers fan here in the forum. Love the brothers!

Chain said:
smilejamaica said:
chuckster said:
I have a Harman XXV and love it. It does take maintenance though. I have to empty a full ash pan every week, clean the glass every other day ( that could go longer but I hate dirty glass) and once a week do a thorough scraping and vacuuming of the interior plus twice a day I scrape ash build up out of the fire box. I seem to get a lot of ash. Probably because I'm not to fussy about the pellets I buy. Anything that HD, Lowes or Sams Club are pushing. I don't notice much difference in heat output of the different pellets just ash output.
if i was ever to buy another stove i would definitely buy the harmen xxv i just love that stove

Live at the Filmore East doesn't get much better than that!!

will711 said:
Chain said:
smilejamaica said:
chuckster said:

Indeed. Perhaps the greatest live recording of any band in history. My favorite version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is on Live at the Filmore East. I'm a big fan of many of the ABB spin off bands as well (bands made up of the "newer and younger" ABB members). Gov't Mule is probably my favorite band, in fact.

Chain said:
will711 said:
Chain said:
smilejamaica said:
chuckster said:

Indeed. Perhaps the greatest live recording of any band in history. My favorite version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is on Live at the Filmore East. I'm a big fan of many of the ABB spin off bands as well (bands made up of the "newer and younger" ABB members). Gov't Mule is probably my favorite band, in fact.

My favorite song, another live recording that I rank up with Filmore East is Little Feats Waiting for Columbus. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread soo to the OP buy a Harman.

Chain said:
I agree on the Harman. I'm considering buying a P61 or P68 this spring.

What are you burning now that you may replace with P61 or P68 ??

On older Lopi FoxFire. It was in the house when I bought it in 2001. It's been very dependable but I want a bigger more capable stove that I can make my primary heat source rather than my #2 fuel oil hot water boiler (Utica boiler) that currently is my main heat source. My house is an 1800 square foot single level ranch with a lot of windows and two additions. It's a mostly open floor plan and so the P61 is more than capable. However, everyone I talk with suggests I just get the P68 since it's only a few hundred dollars more. Everyone but my local dealer. He actually thinks the P61 is plenty for my needs. I'm still on the fence as I'm also considering the Cumberland (made by Hearthstone) and M55...But strongly leaning toward Harman.

thedak said:
FYI

A Harmin will get you laid.
it will?! another selling strategy to use for my selling arsenal.....seems like it would be a pretty strong one, I just dont know how to substanciate it.........any suggestions? Lemme tell ya, selling literally hundreds of them per year hasnt helped so far......

Chain said:
On older Lopi FoxFire. It was in the house when I bought it in 2001. It's been very dependable but I want a bigger more capable stove that I can make my primary heat source rather than my #2 fuel oil hot water boiler (Utica boiler) that currently is my main heat source. My house is an 1800 square foot single level ranch with a lot of windows and two additions. It's a mostly open floor plan and so the P61 is more than capable. However, everyone I talk with suggests I just get the P68 since it's only a few hundred dollars more. Everyone but my local dealer. He actually thinks the P61 is plenty for my needs. I'm still on the fence as I'm also considering the Cumberland (made by Hearthstone) and M55...But strongly leaning toward Harman.

It seems like the P61 should do the job and the "few hundred dollars " you save could be spent on pellets just my $.02 , anything that can help keep the oil man at bay is good.

Lousyweather said:
thedak said:
FYI

it will?! another selling strategy to use for my selling arsenal.....seems like it would be a pretty strong one, I just dont know how to substanciate it.........any suggestions? Lemme tell ya, selling literally hundreds of them per year hasnt helped so far......

LW I don't know if this will help your arsenal or not but my wife keeps telling me this stove was the best thing we ever bought and I remind her a mans got "needs" fill in the blanks anyway you want. Oh man it's not even Friday and I'm having tooo much fun love this forum.

i wasnt happy with my harman at all. im much more pleased with my cumberland. i have a lamp sitting on the harman right now and the cumberland is blazing away non stop 24-7and has been all winter without fail. if you got the cointo blow to keep up with the jones' go for the harman. if you want to save some coin go with one of the cheaper ones. it seems to me most of the posts about stove issues are harmans. its the stove that dont get posted about that dont have issues.

thedak said:
FYI

Perhaps, but I'm an adult film producer and thus never have a problem in that dept. It's amazing what a disciplined highly driven adult film star wannabe will do to get a part.

3650 said:
i wasnt happy with my harman at all. im much more pleased with my cumberland. i have a lamp sitting on the harman right now and the cumberland is blazing away non stop 24-7and has been all winter without fail. if you got the cointo blow to keep up with the jones' go for the harman. if you want to save some coin go with one of the cheaper ones. it seems to me most of the posts about stove issues are harmans. its the stove that dont get posted about that dont have issues.

So you're very happy with the Cumberland? What model do you own? You're absolutely right in that there's plenty of threads in this forum mentioning issues with Harman's. My neighbor has one which he purchased from the same dealer I'm considering and he had issues right away with his. He has a P43, and while overall he's happy with it, he was more than pissed off dealing with the dealer and Harman when he had an issue with it a month or so into his first heating season. And here in upstate, NY (and I'm not talking Albany or Syracuse, I'm talking the North Country...near Canada) you don't want to be without heat for too long.

If you have a minute, can you tell what it is about the Cumberland you prefer over the Harman? And what model Harman do you own? Thanks for any info. you can provide.

Chain said:
thedak said:
FYI

Perhaps, but I'm an adult film producer and thus never have a problem in that dept. It's amazing what a disciplined highly driven adult film star wannabe will do to get a part.

You are no doubt talking about them emptying the ash pan and cleaning your Harman. ;-)

PADave said:
Chain said:
thedak said:
FYI

You are no doubt talking about them emptying the ash pan and cleaning your Harman. ;-)

Bingo! Or as Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld would say, "Getti up!"

Chain said:
3650 said:

So you're very happy with the Cumberland? What model do you own? You're absolutely right in that there's plenty of threads in this forum mentioning issues with Harman's. My neighbor has one which he purchased from the same dealer I'm considering and he had issues right away with his. He has a P43, and while overall he's happy with it, he was more than pissed off dealing with the dealer and Harman when he had an issue with it a month or so into his first heating season. And here in upstate, NY (and I'm not talking Albany or Syracuse, I'm talking the North Country...near Canada) you don't want to be without heat for too long.

If you have a minute, can you tell what it is about the Cumberland you prefer over the Harman? And what model Harman do you own? Thanks for any info. you can provide.

not sure where my sig went...gone...odd. i have a harman accentra 2 fs and a cumberland 3650. i prefer almost everything about the cumberland to the harman. the cumberland throws tons more heat, is far more easier to clean, has far less soot (none), its multifuel, ignites on corn, ignites in about two minutes on pellets, very wide range of burn selections, has a convection fan filter, heate exchanger on sides as well as back and top, etc, etc

:lol:
krooser said:
Well that stove will need attention everyday.. they all do. Why dealers lie to customers is something I will never understand.

Chain said:

I'm a believer in going up to the next level for the stove, so you aren't constantly maxing out the capabilities of the smaller unit (which could mean more maintenance costs for parts down the line)

3650 said:
Chain said:
3650 said:

not sure where my sig went...gone...odd. i have a harman accentra 2 fs and a cumberland 3650. i prefer almost everything about the cumberland to the harman. the cumberland throws tons more heat, is far more easier to clean, has far less soot (none), its multifuel, ignites on corn, ignites in about two minutes on pellets, very wide range of burn selections, has a convection fan filter, heate exchanger on sides as well as back and top, etc, etc

Thanks for this info. Very helpful.

3650 said:
it seems to me most of the posts about stove issues are harmans. its the stove that dont get posted about that dont have issues.

I wouldn't say that. Actually in searching through the forums for Harman, it's mostly about how to run the Harman most effectively because it does operate differently from other stoves. That, and people asking "should I buy a Harman" and other's answering that they "love their Harman". I'm not seeing a lot of poor performance posts about Harman's.

Earlier today I spoke with a dealer who at one time sold Cumberland along with Harman. He no longer sells the Cumberland and claimed that three of the customers he sold them to are considering getting rid of them and buying something different. Of course he talked up the Harman line big time. I assume he's telling some truth as he's still listed on the Cumberland site as being a dealer. When I asked him about what specific issues these customers were having he wouldn't answer me. Buying a new stove is getting to be almost as big a pain the ass as buying a new car. In the end I'm sure I can't go wrong with a Harman, but still, there are other brands that I find to be better looking stoves and am intrigued by.

you could always pick one up used and see how you like it. if you dont like it flog it on fleabay or craigslist. probably wont loose anything but effort. all i can tell you is i have one of each and prefer the cumberland and im not in it to make a sale. one issue with the cumberland older models such as mine, is that there is a auger feed button and you press it once to continously feed pellets then press again to stop. kinda dangerous if you forget to press again. im sure this feature put some fear into newbees. my model has a plate that blocks off the hopper to auger in event of an overfire. the newer models have remedies. i think when you press it, it only runs the auger for little bit and not continuously. so good luck what ever your choice.

slls said:
Pellets stoves need attention every day. I have to pull a black knob every day, just like a woman, high maintenance.
Damn...I've checked my woman and don't see any black knob to pull. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.