okay, Sat. night dumb question time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Hearth Supporter
Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
WE have been burning our new VC Encore Nc for several weeks now when it gets chilly. WE have had good sucess with everburn thanks to the wood burning Gods here. my ? is on nights when you just want to take the chill off, should we burn with bypass open or after heating up should we close bypass even if we do not acheive everburn because of only using a few splits .

Thanks in advance Michael

I have that situation here also with a Lopi Leyden. It is a down draft stove similar to the VC Encore.

I decided to save the after burner for when long burns are wanted.

The other day, I burned a few small rounds and it did quite fine with the bypass open. Of course the stove will not near as efficient this way but is effective at knocking off the chill. I don't know it there is a problem associated by having the bypass shut then the after burner is not hot enough to operate.

I do close the bypass...I just put less wood in the box. Kindling, two small 3" splits = 5hrs heat output.

depends on how long you want to burn!If its just an hour or two just to get the chill out,i wouldnt damper down (everburn wouldnt work that great anyhow because of lack of a good coal bed.For longer times i would damper down and use the everburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.