okay to seal cleanout for working fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoover4

Nov 8, 2010
NJ
Hello-

Ignorant question: is it okay to permanently brick up the opening to a basement ash pit cleanout and clean out the ash pit from the hearth in the future? My contractor recommends this so I can more fully finish my basement. FYI, we have installed a direct vent boiler, so the heating flue is being sealed and taken out of service. Thanks in advance!

If this is a good flue in nice condition, why not leave it accessible for the future?

Hi--
Thanks for the fast reply. Just to be clear, we do intend to keep using the fireplace occasionally. The basement cleanout door finally came completely off its hinges, and I think the contractor was suggesting that it is just as effective to clean the ash pit from above. I am leaning in your direction on this, but are there problems/dangers with his suggestion? thanks, have a good night.

For the ash pit not as much is lost. I was referring to the other suggestion about sealing the heating flue. I'd do that with something that could be reversed later.

Status
Not open for further replies.