OkoFen/MeSys Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainK

Aug 29, 2014
Maine
Ok been lurking here long enough so finally joined... hello to all.

Well after looking at it for a few years we finally had the funds to install a MeSys Pellet Boiler to replace our aging ThermoPride Furnace.

The install occurred in March the pics are here for those interested... it was quite the project since we ditched the FHA and went with radiant.

Its been running since, we have our DHW off the boiler now, saving a load on our electric bill, and a 3.1T bulk storage bin setup.

No complaints as of yet, we do notice a wood smoke smell in the basement from time to time but its a hint of it, not as bad as described here https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/strong-smoke-odor-after-okofen-installation.127926/ no visible smoke, the smoke alarm has never gone off, just a faint wood fire smell... we will see if its worse this winter.

Willing to answer what questions I can and wondering who else has one of these systems.. have you tweaked the settings? Etc.

I have the CF logger running on mine, some of the data is foreign to me most I can make out...

Have lowered the switch off temp from 185 down to 160 for the summer it took about 15min off the run time of the boiler for DHW makeup. So I figure I'm saving 15min worth of pellets... for what its worth.

That's about all. Enjoy what is left of the summer...

-k

Reactions: velvetfoot
Awesome pictures of your project!
It was cool that you saw the guts of it when they disassembled it for moving. It looks different from what I bought, as far as I can tell, but I haven't studied the cutaway drawings enough, for sure!
I'm putting in a BioWin boiler and set off the smoke alarms yesterday when I was sweating some pipes; and they were only 3/4"!
I don't know what CF logger means. Can you download the data?
i can see it being a waste to keep the buffer tank temp too high just for dhw.
I love your storage bin. I got the 3 ton storage bag from MESys, but I haven't installed it. I think I'm going to just build a wooden box next to it and dump pellets in there, but i can (and do) always change my mind, lol. My first 4 ton (which is low because i still burn wood) delivery of bagged pellets, and subsquent moving to basement, even though a walkout, highlighted the advantages of bulk delivery!

CF=Compact Flash... yes you can download the data.. its happily recording (I think I have it set for every 60 seconds) it records the following.. most I know what they stand for others just a guess... I hope I can format this well....

Date Date
Time Time
KF Boiler Sensor °F (Temp of boiler water)
RGF Flue Gas Sensor (Not used on mine I dont see the probe for it and it stays at a constant 2600)
SP_FRT Combustion Chamber Set Value °F (varies depending on demand of boiler)
FRT Combustion Chamber Sensor °F (actual value)
ES Burner Auger Motor %
PA Burner Fan %
LL Combustion Fan %
SZ Flue Gas Fan %
SP_uP Negative draft Set Value %
uP Negative draft measurement %
SM Boiler State (narrative description, ie. Standby, Ignition, Ignited, Shutdown, etc.)

The first few I'm sure of.. everything after ES is an educated guess if you want to see a graph you can check here, that was one of the first graphs I made. Ooop rumbles of thunder time to unplug... enjoy your weekend!

If this was a performance car forum, you'd be uploading a performance mod into your computer!
"Oooop rumbles of thunder time to unplug" . I'd ask what you unplug, but you're unplugged!

Working with computers often I know how easy it is to fry a power supply or worse... computers, tv, stereo, in-ground dog fence, more computers, compressor, ac units, etc... once bit twice shy..

The Windhager BioWin looks good... spent some time looking it up, where is the install post/updates thread? (if there is one)

You mean mine? https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-windhager-biowin-100-150-install-thread.126328/
It's very slow. I think of something else further down the line and I stop what I'm doing.
I finished sweating the domestic hot water pipe today and had only one a connection that leaked, a 1.5"/.75" threaded brass bushing that I was luckily able to tighten a little with a couple 24" wrenches.
I think I'll update that thread with that sentence. I'll take some pictures when the boiler pipe is watertight, knock on wood.

Sounds and looks like quite the project... I did the hardest part on our install.... write the check.. ;)

Ok not entirely true... We had cut nails protruding from the sub floor that all had to be cut off before the radiant could go up... that took some time/effort and a few grinding disks.

We just had the MeSys boiler installed in July, replacing an aging oil boiler. The heating system is forced hot air with central AC which we retained, requiring a heat exchanger for the boiler. We are running DHW off the boiler into an 80 gallon tank. So far, so good--although DHW is the only thing we've heated thus far. We also noticed a very slight smoky the first week or so which has now disappeared. The house is a 50 year old cape with new insulation and windows, about 1700 sf. We're looking to improve over the $3000+ we spent last winter to heat the place. We removed the original oil furnace and oil tank and will be using the pellets as our sole heat source. We went with MeSys because our local HVAC guy, whom we know and trust, installs them (we are his third install, oink oink said the guinea pig). We received our Efficiency Maine rebate check less than two weeks after the installation, and they didn't even schedule an inspection until the end of September!

Yes the check comes quick from Efficiency Maine, we skipped the inspection as it is optional and didn't want someone snooping around. Interesting that you kept the FHA, I would like to see pics of the setup if you have any... we decided to go with radiant as my lovey wife has allergies and we wanted to get away from it. We still get the smoke from time to time... Q: on the back where it vents to the chimney, is your pipe around the outside of the boiler flue pipe or tucked into it?

We kept the FHA because we wanted to retain the central AC--if we couldn't do that we might not have made the switch. I'll post some pics within the next day or two. I don't quite understand what you mean about the boiler flue, but I'll try to post a pic.

Here's our original fuel tank....

IMG_20140727_074420144_HDR.jpg

Replaced by the 3.2 ton pellet storage bin...
IMG_20140731_055729754.jpg

The original oil furnace...

IMG_20140727_074443003.jpg

Now replaced by the pellet furnace and heat/ac exchanger...

SDC10130.JPG

And the flue pipe...

SDC10133.JPG

Here's the 80 gallon hot water tank, heated by the pellet boiler...

SDC10134.JPG

Reactions: CaptainK
Your flue pipe is set up the same way, its inserted into the boiler rather than around it... however mine is not taped... I have some of that foil tape from another project, I think I might tape up the joints to see if that helps.

Very nice install, for being a guinea pig, :) That water tank is huge. Are you running it at 140F with a mixer to bring it down to 120F? You must get over 100gal of hot water that way...

We have been running just for DHW since March, and the 3T hopper seems full still, there is finally a divot forming in the top so I guess I am using some fuel.

Just out of curiosity how was your home insurance affected by the change? Who do you use?

IMG_1912s.jpg

I think I found part of the problem....

Yep, does look like you found it. Our installer recommended our hot water tank for two reasons....(1) the pellet stove gives a bit slower recovery than oil or electric, so with 80 gallons for two people we should be good. (2) The first installation he did they used a hybrid hot water heater, but since then he (and MeSys) decided it was better for the boiler to run periodically than shutting down for three or so months (remember, guinea pigs here). I checked with my insurance agent before we pulled the trigger, and I was told that our insurance would not be affected. According to the agent, our insurer--Maine Mutual--is the only company in the state that does not require any policy changes for pellet boilers. So says the agent. :)

Maine Mutual--is the only company in the state that does not require any policy changes for pellet boilers. So says the agent.
Funny you should say that.. that is who we have, MMG... got to love it.

No it looks like its just barely in there... regardless it is now taped up with some foil tape.. we will see how that does..

With 2 people and our 45 gal tank we have been doing ok.. even with 3 people in the house taking showers back to back it seems to cope. The tank temp is set to 140F. The real test will be in a month or so we will have 4 people here taking showers... we will see if the last one in get a... refreshing... shower. ;)

Over 3k to heat a 1700 square foot home? Ouch!

That is what I was thinking...we have about 1300sqft and with oil it was about $1700. Not including dhw.

I'm pretty sure if I were to heat my house with just oil for a winter, I'd be looking at that much and more.

Last two winters, my parents didn't fire up the wood boiler until December. They figured the 2 months or so before that cost close to $20/day for oil - and they have a smaller fairly well insulated sheltered house.

I'm pretty sure if I were to heat my house with just oil for a winter, I'd be looking at that much and more.

Last two winters, my parents didn't fire up the wood boiler until December. They figured the 2 months or so before that cost close to $20/day for oil - and they have a smaller fairly well insulated sheltered house.

That's almost $600 to $620 a month to heat a "smaller fairly well insulated house" in October and November?

That seems like an awful lot.

Do your parents live in Nova Scotia too and how much does oil cost there?

Yes.

And I'm quite happy to say I don't really know since I don't have to buy it anymore.

But with some googling, looks like around $1.10/litre plus tax. I'm not sure how much net tax is on HHO.

They like it warm, or at least one of them does. But I'm pretty sure I'd be looking at 4 tanks of oil for the year at this place of mine - tank is 900l.

In saying close to $20 - it was between $15 & $20 last year. My memory is fuzzy on how close to $20 it was. I know the year before it was right at or very close to $15. And they have a new Buderus boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.