old 40:1 ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onetracker

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2011
rondout valley ny
i'm down to one power tool (leaf blower) that runs on 40:1 and i've got more mixed than i'll probably need. plus now i'm gonna run all synthetic 2-stroke oil in everything so i don't want to re-mix it to 50:1.

suggestions?

can i put it in my gas tank?

thanks in advance.

OT

I'd just run it. You probably won't notice the difference. Or dump it in the lawnmower.
With today's synthetic oils, I mix everything at 50:1. My sixteen year old RedMax trimmer specs 32:1, but it's been running fine for a few years now at 50:1.

Running my 25+ year old 034 (which specs 25:1 for non-Stihl oils) on AMSOIL Sabre Pro mixed at 80:1. Ran it on Stihl HP Ultra at 50:1 previous to that. Saw shows no signs of slowing down or wearing out.

It's the oil that determines the mix ratio, not necessarily the engine. (Race engines excepted) Even Stihl says 50:1 is fine with their oils in their older saws.

If you have a batch of 40:1 to get rid of you can dump in the mower gas tank and dilute with fresh fuel or just run it through. 40:1 ain't gonna kill anything, especially if it's just a few tankfulls.

If it were here at the Jags Estates I would pour it into one of my old skool engines (such as the '39 VC case or the '42 generator). Low compression slow speed engines will burn darn near anything that will hold a flame.

A little upper cylinder lube ain't gonna hurt a thing in your lawn mower, garden tractor, etc.

Why not add the appropriate amount of straight gas to bring it to 50:1 and burn in your two strokes? (or for that matter burn it 40:1 in your two strokes.)

thanks for the insight gents.
just wanted to make sure.

i'm down to one power tool (leaf blower) that runs on 40:1 and i've got more mixed than i'll probably need. plus now i'm gonna run all synthetic 2-stroke oil in everything so i don't want to re-mix it to 50:1.

suggestions?

can i put it in my gas tank?

thanks in advance.

OT

Use it. Your leaf blower won't know the difference between 40:1 and 50:1

Reactions: ScotO
I would rather have a heavy mix than risk running too lean and doing damage. Spark plugs and muffler screens are quick, cheap fixes compared to pistons & cylinders.

I would rather have a heavy mix than risk running too lean and doing damage. Spark plugs and muffler screens are quick, cheap fixes compared to pistons & cylinders.
my thoughts exacty, Greg. I actually run my old saws at 35:1 and I have NEVER fouled a plug from normal use. You lose a little power with an oil-rich mix, but I'd rather lose a little power than a bearing, piston, or cylinder. That extra lube helps with the ethanol gas.......

I think for chits and giggles I'm gonna buy 5 gallons of AvGas this weekend, mix it at 50:1, retune the saws and see how things go. Seriously, I'm gonna do it!

I think for chits and giggles I'm gonna buy 5 gallons of AvGas this weekend, mix it at 50:1, retune the saws and see how things go. Seriously, I'm gonna do it!

Don't do it! You'll never go back.:) Smells better too. A C

I've used it before, but its been a while. Time for a blast from the past!

The TEL (Lead) content doesn't bother you Scott? 100LL (what you're likely to find) is going to have up to twice as much TEL as 60's automootive fuel.

Reactions: Jags
I hear dribs and drabs about an unleaded AvGas coming down the pike to all but replace 100LL. That would have my attention!

My uncle works in the fuel industry and he tells me that it doesn't have lead in it........leaded fuel is illegal. Not sure who to believe anymore. I will say this, I grew up in the 70's and 80's breathing the stuff, I ate leaded paint off of my crib when I was little, and I drink milk from the grocery store and I feel completely normal....... ;)

My uncle works in the fuel industry and he tells me that it doesn't have lead in it........leaded fuel is illegal. Not sure who to believe anymore. I will say this, I grew up in the 70's and 80's breathing the stuff, I ate leaded paint off of my crib when I was little, and I drink milk from the grocery store and I feel completely normal....... ;)

i was JUST thinking about this en route to work this morning. born in the 50's i was. my mom smoked the whole time she was pregnant with me. the doctors encouraged it...said 'it'll help you relax'. i feel like i'm normal but i'm sure there are a fair number of people who would question that.

i would love to run ethanol-free gas. ain't gonna happen tho cuz the closest source in about 50 miles away. i could get it from bailey's but it's pricey. i'm amazed you can MAIL gasoline.

Airplane gas is exempt from the lead ban and yes 100LL does have lead in it.

As for having lead in the fuel being an issue, it's not really. I've been running 100LL for a couple years and haven't had a problem. A friend just ported his saw after running it for 2 years on 100LL and the combustion chamber in the saw was very clean.

Ain't like he's running it from a sealed cockpit at 10,000ft either...

FYI, very few planes that operate on AV gas have sealed cockpits, most are limited to a service ceiling of 10k feet.

Ain't like he's running it from a sealed cockpit at 10,000ft either...
If you saw some of the chit I breathe in a day (I work in a locomotive overhaul shop, we burn and weld some pretty nasty stuff in there) you would laugh at the lead in that gas......;)

I put a pinch of split shot between my cheek and gum when I am fishing, so for that lead "boost".

If you saw some of the chit I breathe in a day (I work in a locomotive overhaul shop, we burn and weld some pretty nasty stuff in there) you would laugh at the lead in that gas......;)

That's gotta be cool stuff. I was checking one out once that had the motor torn down. It was a little one that was used at an elevator when they were loading grain out. The size of the internals was pretty impressive. Be way cool to work on the big ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.