Old Buck insert replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sklemp

Feb 26, 2023
California
I have a 40yr old Big Buck 28000 insert, with a firebox that - if I've measured correctly at 28W*24H*17D" is >6cu.ft.
I want to upgrade to a new low-polluting, high-efficiency insert
I don't want an overnight load (coastal California mountains), but I do have a big living-dining area (28ft*37ft with ceilings 10-16ft).

If my efficiency is going to double (maybe?) with new technology does this mean I can use a much smaller fire-box?

Candidate models Lopi Evergreen, Osburn Inspire 2000 and Montlake 230 have fireboxes 2.2 to 2.4 cu.ft.
Or Osburn 3500 and Montlake 300 are 3.0 to 3.5 cu.ft.

Does it matter for efficiency whether I cram a small firebox full? or use a small load in a bigger firebox?
Thre's an attraction to being able to load 22" logs into a Osburn 3500 instead of only 18" into a Montlake 230 ...

All advice welcome to thi newbie at the forum!

Welcome. I think you should be looking at 2.5 to 3 cu ft inserts. Look at the Regency i2450, Osburn 2000 & 3500, and the Pacific Energy Summit for starters.

FWIW, we just had a poster here that has been waiting since last July for his Montlake 300 order and finally has given up. Not sure why this huge delay, but it's pretty unreasonable.

Is the rest of the floor plan just on the periphery of the big room, a fairy open layout with no hallways? What's total sq.ft? Well-insulated and air-sealed?
What city are you near? CA is a long state with a considerable range of climates, I think, even coastal.
Do you want to heat mostly with wood or will the stove be more of an assist for the main heating system, not used 24/7?
I'd go for a premium stove, unless cost is also a consideration. Is styling important?