Old Cabin Fireplace Wood Insert - Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mm4420

Jun 19, 2023
South Dakota
We have an old (1904) log cabin used as a summer place at most 6 months a year in the Black Hills - cabin is about 1,800 sf. It is not accessible from Mid-Oct to Mid-March. The corner fireplace is the main heat in the shoulder seasons and it can get quite chilly (lows of below 40 for sure and into the 20's; It as 38 last week (June) as a low). We do have a Malleable Steel Range No. 818 in the kitchen for heat (not cooking) and have a PAGOMA No. 141 that connects above the fireplace mantel to the fireplace flue (takes up too much living room space and fireplace flue is shot so getting rid of that option).

The firebox opening is 44" wide, by 25" high by 22" deep. The stone hearth from the firebox to the wood floor is 17". The fireplace itself is huge - another 12" of stone left and right of the firebox and 30' above firebox to the mantel. We want a wood burning insert. Is there a manufacturer that has a non-catalytic that qualifies for the Biomass Tax Credit? Non-catalytic because it is not used that much and I don't want the maintenance. Does a flush unit versus one that extends into the room some really provide less radiant heat? The PE Summit was recommended. It doesn't qualify for the tax credit and, frankly, it is ugly and doesn't do justice to the quality of the whoever built the place. Napoleon's appear too small for the space (aesthetics - not heating wise). Looking at the VC Montpellier II - flush though. Contractors to work on my old place are impossible to find and I need to make a decision. Appreciate any help.

The Montpelier is not very large and a single-burn rate stove. As noted in the other thread, for the tax credit, take a look at Osburn inserts.