Old Dovetec rises from the dead - but, a few questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenneth Edgar

Jan 27, 2013
Hello all,

After getting nowhere on finding flighting for the auger on my old Dovetec I ended up grinding the welds loose on the old auger and transplanting the flighting to a new shaft. The stove works great now but - I think I now know what bent the original shaft. The stove was originally used occasionally and is now used at night and left off during the day unless we are here. The problem seems to arise when the stove is off - the pellets will smoulder and burn down to the auger level over the course of the day; the resulting creosote build up ends up jamming the auger if not scraped out frequently (brand of pellets seems to make no difference).
The question is whether there is something still wrong or is this the "nature of the beast" for the older stoves? I've been cleaning the firebox every two weeks.
I still wonder if the firebox is getting too much air since the flame looks like a blast furnace and the glass on the door soots up very quick - there are no controls on this stove except for a remote thermostat. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.