Old habits die hard.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I loaded up the stove at about 10:00 last night. I crammed it full of pine, N/S like I have been with all the coals raked to the right hand side of the stove. I went out to feed the dog, came back in and shut the door to the stove, but left it wide open and slowly shut it down before heading to bed at 10:30. The room was 77 at this point.

Slept like a baby until 5:30, then decided I needed to go check on the fire and empty the bladder that has seemed to shrink in the past couple of years. I get down into the stove room and it's 77F still... Look into the firebox and the stinking thing has about 1/3 of its load left. Temps on the stove were down to about 400, so I opened it up, because I needed to be able to reload and go to work in about another 2 hours. 77 and rising is warm, so I felt really tired and fell asleep on the couch. woke back up around 6:30 and the room was 79. By the time I needed to reload for work I had to shove enough coals over to the side that easily equaled a very large split. That was easily a 9 hour load with PINE and it had plenty of fuel left. I certainly was burning clean and hot for the whole nite. Glass is clean, and the big gauge was that the room was still warm! That would never have happened with the 12. I guess what car people say is true. There just is no replacement for displacement... (unless you are talking turbos, and the secondaries on this thing mean I got more displacement AND some turbos)

I have a long day at work ahead of me, but I know that when I wander through the door at about 5, I won't have to RUSH to the stove and throw more wood in. I used to end the day here at work fretting about how the stove room would be dropping into the 50's by the time I got home and how I may have to go through the pains of trying to restart it from some teensy little coals hiding in the ashes.

This is a nice place to be, but I really need to stop waking up randomly to go load a stove that just doesn't need it anymore.

Old habits DO die hard.

I do the same thing. I've only had my Buck since last January so don't even have a full season in on it yet. Wake up in the middle of the night ( +1 on the bladder) and I'm like a zombie being drawn to the stove just to "check it out". Now about the only thing I do at that time of night is maybe pull the sides in some and go back to bed. Ain't it Sweet.

Danno, some bad things may be happening to you soon. Pine causes hair to grow on the palms of the hands for one but just beware. It may be out to get you!

Backwoods Savage said:
Danno, some bad things may be happening to you soon. Pine causes hair to grow on the palms of the hands for one but just beware. It may be out to get you!

Hairy palms, and you'll go blind, too. ;-P

Sounds like this stove and you are getting along fine. But don't go complaining about that bladder just yet. By the time you're my age the bladder and the prostate will have switched sizes and the nighttime awakenings won't be so random anymore. :sick:

Sounds like BK has had some problems. Watch out when you start peeing on your toes Danno.

Man, this stove is nice. Got home at about 5:15 and opened the air and tossed one split in. Half an hour later it's at 400...

Anyway, thanks for giving me something to look forward to, guys! Geesh!!!

X10 on the Bladder. I get up and check on the baby all the time (The stove and our 6 month old)

Been burning almost all Pine myself. I cant believe what it will do with Soft woods (burned some Silver maple also). I cant wait till its all gone and the Cold weather is here. We have had a couple nights close to to 20* and quite a few just under 30*. I would have normally burned about 30 bags of pellets without the 30-NC. Have #10 going in tonight. A 33% reduction from a woodstove in an uninsulated basement. Not Bad burning softwood.

The 30 is a machine. I find it hard to keep it under 600* with the Pine. I am waiting till it gets down to about 250*-300* and closing it down within 10-15 minutes (in steps).

Learned a lot from all the 30 users here. Love the info. Keep it coming.

Burning pine will cause you to lose your hair . . . it's the only explanation as to why I am going bald.

firefighterjake said:
Burning pine will cause you to lose your hair . . . it's the only explanation as to why I am going bald.

Good to know, that still keeps pine above poplar on my list. I've heard burning poplar for heat causes pregnancy. :eek:hh:

pen

pen said:
firefighterjake said:

Good to know, that still keeps pine above poplar on my list. I've heard burning poplar for heat causes pregnancy. :eek:hh:

pen

Great . . . now I'm going to go bald and I'm going to get pregnant. . . . can this day get any worse? ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
pen said:
firefighterjake said:

pen

Great . . . now I'm going to go bald and I'm going to get pregnant. . . . can this day get any worse? ;) :)

Now I'll be bald and pregnant . . . no one will find me attractive any more. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
pen said:
firefighterjake said:

pen

Yeah, you can end up peeing on your toes like Savage.

And you will really have to be careful when splitting wood....

Status
Not open for further replies.