Old Insert ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
This insert is for sale locally - I'm looking for a relative with a tight budget. All I saw was "King" on the right ceramic. It does have a Martin Industries blower. Flue exit is 5" x 14.5" rectangle (72.5" sq) - would that call for 10" round pipe (78.5" sq)? Does this look vintage 1975-1985? Being a "King" - would that mean US Stove Co? Probably pumps out heat but bet it eats wood like all get out. Thanks, Doug

Attachments

• KingStove1.jpg
    KingStove1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 237
It looks like an old smoke dragon to me, especially with the rectangle exhaust.

You would need one of these to convert to 6" liner: http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/1053/product/6-inch-Round-Stainless-Steel-Insert-Boot.html

You might need to do some fabrication to get it to work right. You are correct, it will eat wood like no tomorrow. If you can pick it up for around $100 and have no other choice it will heat your home, but you will have to sweep your liner and check for creosote alot more than a modern secondary burning stove.

Thanks, mellow. Agreed if NO other choice. The negatives far outweigh the positives on this one. And the insert boot costs more than I would pay for stove. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.