Old Jotul 118 - Rear Burn Plate/Shield?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shojeel

Nov 1, 2016
New Hampshire
Hey everyone,

I am finally getting my stove going for the year and am wondering about the rear of this stove. It does get considerably hotter than the sides (where I have the newer longer, 3 hook, burn plates). I am wondering if anyone knows of a part that I can use for the rear of the stove to shield it from the much hotter temps. I have seen that the newer 118's Black Bears have a rear plate but I am not certain that it will fit my stove. For now I just try to keep the fire towards the front/middle of the stove.

Any recommendations?

The F602 has the same issue. I had an 1/8" plate cut to fit the back of my stove by using a cardboard template first. Then I through bolted it with 10/32 screws using a nut as a spacer from the actual back. The back temp has been reduced substantially. There is a thread somewhere's here that has some pictures of this process. Search for F602 mod by me and I think you will find it.

Reactions: shojeel
The F602 has the same issue. I had an 1/8" plate cut to fit the back of my stove by using a cardboard template first. Then I through bolted it with 10/32 screws using a nut as a spacer from the actual back. The back temp has been reduced substantially. There is a thread somewhere's here that has some pictures of this process. Search for F602 mod by me and I think you will find it.

I just did a bunch of search and I can't seem to find it. If you come across it please let me know. I am trying to keep the fire much closer to the front now to try and mitigate "some" of the temp. I may have an old side plate that I can cut and place in the back for now.

In any case, thanks for responding.

It's an old thread. Here's a picture of the shield in the back of the firebox.
Old Jotul 118 - Rear Burn Plate/Shield?