Old Jotul 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aarddragon

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Western NC
My husband is considering an old Jotul 118--I think it was made back in the 70s. It's been reconditioned. The seller bought it from an elderly couple who didn't want to heat with wood anymore and used a kit to reseal all the seams. He lit a fire in it while it was outside and said it did great. He wants $650 firm for it. I would like to know if this is a good price,or is he asking too much? Also,how many square feet did the old Jotul 118 heat? Any other information about these stoves would also be appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't pay that much for an older stove . . . even if it is a nice stove.

I used a copy of that stove for 18 years, and it did the job. I rebuilt mine entirely when I bought it. There's more to reconditioning one of those stoves than just putting in new gaskets and squirting some stove cement in the seams. You really need to take the entire thing apart and clean out the old cement and put new cement in the channels, then carefully bolt it all back together again.

Then there is the condition of the inner side baffle plates and the top baffle to consider. If they are warped or burned through, you will have a hard time getting new parts, and they are expensive.

They are energetic burners that like to be burned hot. They don't hold a lot of wood, so overnight burns are iffy at best, but they will crank out a lot of heat. Square feet... I don't know, they didn't rate them that way back then. My stove was in my basement and it heated down there, the floor above it, and the spare room upstairs to a livable temperature. Total space about 1800-2000 sq.ft.

Bottom line is, that stove is at the top end of fairly priced if it has been completely rebuilt. Other than that, I feel it is priced too high.

To someone in the industry, it seems like a lot of money for a used stove, even a good one like the 118. But the value is in the eye of the buyer in a lot of cases. If it was me, I would pass, see if it is still for sale a month from now and offer him $500. Keep in mind, with the tax credit still in effect you can buy a new stove with much better technology for not much more than that old 118.

Welcome. this was a great stove, but it has been eclipsed by modern stoves for cleaner burning, less wood consumption and on many stoves a nice view of the fire. As for price, first it has to be confirmed that it is a real Jotul stove and not a copy. It should say so right on the front door. This is peak season now, so folks are going to be asking more for used stoves while the demand is high. Normally this stove would be in the $250-450 range. If the stove was disassembled, cleaned and then rebuilt with new inner burn plates and upper baffle, then it could be worth about $650. But only if the original body is in great condition and likely enameled. Given that it has been used a lot, I would be extra cautious. Ideally I would be looking for an old stove with very little use. If you are looking at this stove examine it very carefully for signs of aging like hairline cracks developing in the corners and in the back under the flue exit.

Maybe get hubby on the keyboard with you and tell us what you both are looking to accomplish with the new stove, how big a space you are heating and what the budget is. There are new stoves on the market that are less expensive than the old Jotul that may do a fine job of heating your space. And they qualify (along with the installation) for a tax credit of 30%. Given those factors I would consider a new stove first. Here are a couple to get you started:

http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tvl17--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1250171200.html
http://www.woodstoves.net/1450.htm

Thanks to all who replied to my post,I really appreciate your advice. Possibly Hubby will be on here with future questions! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.