OLD lady with [surplus] Jotul wants $ suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jawj

Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
Heartland
Thanks to all who contributed to my former post regarding how to connect my Jotul F100 to my chimney fireplace.

I'm not going to make THREE mistakes in a row, but I am going to consider the suggestions to go back to the gas heaters. (In my little 900' home, a 12,000 blue flame should be sufficient.) BUT I'm going to get estimates to run the pipe before I sell my Jotul!

In the meantime, if I could direct the discussion toward the woodburner, I've checked craigsl. and can find none of that brand in my entire metro area. Can I have some suggestions, please on what the resale value [range] of it might be? I've never lit it, but it is clean (except for the accumulated dust for the past 2 years...LOLOLOL) and has all parts. Thanks.

(To ControlFreak: 66 may not BE old, but feels 99 when the joints make grinding and popping noises.)

jawj said:
Can I have some suggestions, please on what the resale value [range] of it might be? I've never lit it, but it is clean (except for the accumulated dust for the past 2 years...LOLOLOL) and has all parts. Thanks.
So did you buy it new and never used it, or was it used when you bought it?

Pictures would help a lot in judging it's condition. Otherwise a guess would be in the $5-700 range if the stove is in relatively good condition. If there is heat damage from overfiring, then less.

With the current tax credit, the used stove market has taken a little bit of a hit since almost all new stove are basically on sale for 2009 and 2010 for 30% off (when you add in the tax credit you receive at the end of the year). This obviously makes used stoves less apealing until the credit ends. With that said, I'd say you'd be doing really good to get 50% of the cost of a brand new F100, whatever that may be.

I have a used stove I was going to sell this year also, but since the tax credit has kind of taken the wind out of the sails of the used stove market, I'll probably just let it sit until 2011. My guess is both of our stoves will be worth more in 2011 after the credit ends, but that doesn't help you much today.

Can't the tax credit be used towards a used stove that meets epa requirements?

polaris said:
Can't the tax credit be used towards a used stove that meets epa requirements?

Thats gonna start a whole new thread. The tax law clearly states "the original use to be with the taxpayer" or something. Some folks feel that because they dont define who a taxpayer is that this means you can claim it on anything.

It's my opinion this tax credit applies to a stove bought new from a dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.