Old Pellet Stove - OAK Fabrication?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbilt

Oct 13, 2007
Nor Cal
First post here...I think I recognize a few of you from other forums.

I just installed a freebie Trailblazer stove of 1994 vintage in my (manufactured) home. I know code requires outside air for this installation, but since the manufacturer of this stove is defunct, I am having some difficulty in locating any information about the configuration.

I am hoping that one of you may be familiar with the design. The stove has a pedestal base formed from sheet metal in the shape of a "U", with the rear of the pedestal open. The intake fan is located in the bottom of the body of the stove and within the "U" formed by the pedestal.

There is a 2" knockout in the baseplate centered within the pedestal that looks like it was designed for a connection to draw air from beneath the floor. The pedestal has a flange on both sides with screw holes that appear to have been put there to attach a plate, enclosing the pedestal and creating an intake plenum.

Since my install would be pulling air through the wall behind the stove, can I fabricate a plate to close off the rear of the pedestal, provide a 2" hole in it and install a duct to draw outside air?

The intake fan appears to be 4 or 5 inches in diameter...would a 2" duct provide enough draft?

Any comments or suggestions appreciated...I want to do the "right thing". ;)

Will in NorCal

The codes also require that the stove be specifically LISTED for use in a manufactured home... There may be other changes to the stove (such as adding heat shields) that may be required as well, plus specific requirements on venting and so forth - You need to find a manual for the stove which should both tell you how to do the venting and whether the stove is legal to put in a manufactured home at all...

Gooserider

I agree with goose, you need to find out if this stove was ever approved for mobile home installation. Otherwise, you will put yourself in danger.

ALso, I just installed an OAK myself and the pipe should normally be 4 inch across. 2 inch will never provide enough air for a stove to born efficiently.

And a few photos will do wonders for us to point you in the right direction.

Carpniels

Thanks for the replies...

The stove is a Trail Blazer Classic 1600. It is listed as being suitable for mobile home installation on the very informative manufacturer's label under the hopper lid.

The label also notes the outside air kit as being necessary for mobile home use, although no part number or illustration for the kit is listed. I have done some searching for an installation manual, but no luck so far.

I will post some pics when I can...hopefully, somebody around here remembers these things. ;)

I can say that this stove had been installed in a manufactured home (not mine) since new and there was no air kit installed at that time.

Will

Sorry,
I can't find anything but I have a list here of manufactures and It was made by heating energy systems but got no hits on this co...
Maybe web or a dealer here can remember what happend to the company...

carpniels said:
And a few photos will do wonders for us to point you in the right direction.

Here you go...

A portrait of the old dog
front.jpg

The rear of the pedestal, showing the flanges and holes (presumably) to enclose it...
back.jpg

The intake fan inside the pedestal. About 4" diameter. Looks like I need to clean out the dust bunnies ;)
intake.jpg

The knockout in the bottom of the pedestal. It is about 2" diameter. My guess it was intended for an intake?
knockout.jpg

No, it was not easy crawling back there for the photos. Luckily, the stove is cool, as it's too balmy right now for a fire. 59 degrees. Boo!

Anyone recall what the OAK for this thing included? No fear of fabrication here. :)

Bump.

Anyone?

Looking at the photos again, my GUESS, and it is not anything I'd want to be held to, is that you could probably just make a solid plate that would fasten onto the back of the pedastal, and put a flange of some sort on it that would allow you to connect the two inch OAK inlet hose. It doesn't appear that they are doing anything fancy otherwise.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.