Old Red Elm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

S Roche

Jan 16, 2014
Nebraska
I recently got permission to cut all I want from a abandoned farm place which is mostly Green ash and Red elm that is standing dead. The trees are so close together that when cut they don't make it to the ground. The only way is drop them on top of another tree, put the pull rope on them and drag them out. This is the safest way to get them down that I can find. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• Tree5.JPG
    Tree5.JPG
    373.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Tree2.JPG
    Tree2.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Tree4.JPG
    Tree4.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: Plow Boy
No, your doing good. Pulling them down is the best way in my book. Some cut the supporting tree; the other one is leaning on. That is a good way to get hurt (IMO)

With that tight a canopy it looks like your doing good. That's a nice score by the way.

Reactions: S Roche
With that tight a canopy it looks like your doing good. That's a nice score by the way.
Yes, all of the trees are very straight and close. All of our red elm died off years ago so it was good to find these. The bottom 2' is lost but the rest measures about 15% on the MM. The wife is also happy with no bark or crud to cleanup around the insert.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Status
Not open for further replies.