Old Scandia/ Franklin Cast Products inc. wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoTheMax

Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2009
SLC, UT
We do not know the model number (which was sandblasted then painted over) to our old Scandia/Franklin Cast cast-iron stove. It has double doors that open side to side with an easily removable panel (currently cast-iron) in the middle of each door held on by four bolts. We were wondering if we could replace them with glass. Each door has a vent under the panel with a sheet-metal spark-guard held by two bolts. We were wondering if we could make them into window vents or whatever those newer stoves with glass have to ceap them clean. (We are sheet-metal workers.) If anyone knows anything that might help us then please let us know.

Attachments

• DSCF2221(2).jpg
    DSCF2221(2).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 5,199
  • DSCF2222(2).jpg
    DSCF2222(2).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3,059
  • DSCF2223(2).jpg
    DSCF2223(2).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 2,466
  • DSCF2224(2).jpg
    DSCF2224(2).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,727
Welcome to the Hearth fellow Great Basiners. I can not answer your questions specific to the stove, it is older and may not be EPA certified. Looking at your pics, the panels definitely look like they could be removed. If you are metal workers, it will need more than sheet work, I see no reason you could not fabricate "frames" to mount glass and install. You need to have a gasket between the doors and the glass and will need to fit tightly. The vents are your primary air controls and I doubt could be modified to become an air-wash, but someone else may know a way. You will need to have special stove glass, but I think you can readily find that. Try Dixon Glass on 3rd West. It lis kind of a cool looking stove and not quite the typical Franklin lookm but certainly attractive. It will never be a high efficient heater, but with the blower and good fire management, you can get fairly good results.

Enjoy the site and read lots, you will find tips to help increase your enjoyment all over the site.

It may be possible to do what you propose, but perhaps not worth the effort. Scandia stoves were inexpensive, made in Taiwan copies of other stoves. In many cases, they disassembled other stoves and used those castings as patterns for theirs. A law suit in Federal court brought by Jotul back in the 70's helped to put Scandia out of business. Putting any serious money - and the odd sized ceramic glass required is likely to be pretty expensive assuming you could find it - into this stove is probably not a good investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.