Old Stove, New to me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtgoat

Nov 22, 2008
Central CT
I just bought a home that has an insert in the masonry fireplace. The label on the stove says its made by KNT Division Perfection Mfg. Corp. The build year is 1980 and it says it will burn wood or coal. I can't find any information on this stove. Does anyone know anything about it?

It looks to have had minimal use. I'd like to try it but it does not have a liner. The stove just dumps into the firebox of the masonry and hopefully drafts up the flue. The tile in the chimney is pretty beat up so I'm not going to try it until I put a liner in. The outlet on the stove is 4" X 12" and comes out the top of the stove and hangs off the rear. I cannot find an adapter to fit it. Is this a common outlet size for a stove?

The front of the stove is 30" high by 38" wide. This takes up the entire opening of the masonry. Assuming I can get an adapter made to fit a liner, doe anyone have any idea how I'll be able to attach the liner to the adapter? It looks like the stove will take up the entire opening of the fireplace and I won't be able to reach behind it.

I had lots of questions so thanks for you help in advance.

Here's a picture. Has anyone seen a stove like this before? I know nothing about it.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 332
4X12 is an odd size for a flue outlet. You'd likely have to have something custom fabbed, preferably out of stainless.
I'd be curious to see a few pics of the inside of the insert (once you get the ashes cleaned out).

I'm talking with a tin knocker who's going to give me an estimate. He'll probably use regular stove pipe steel. Will be a problem vs. stainless?

Here's a few pics of the inside. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• Inside 1.jpg
    Inside 1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 283
  • Inside 2.jpg
    Inside 2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 268
  • Outside 1.jpg
    Outside 1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 291
My stove has a similar output, just get a rectangle to round boot (http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/specialty_parts.htm) and connect to a liner.

Edit: guess we posted at the same time. From you pics you posted you could fab a piece of ss to put on top to fit the boot, or go with a connector from stovepartsunlimited, part # is 9S31214 for 8” x 14” x 3 1/2” Stack to 8" round connecter.

Status
Not open for further replies.