1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Old stove, Older house

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by pilfro, Nov 8, 2012.

1. pilfro

pilfro New Member

Hello Im new to wood stoves,

We bought a small (1700')1890s farmhouse back in April which had a fireplace and wood stove using the same flu, we couldn't insure it with both and the previous owners ran insert from wood stove out bypassing fireplace. We weren't sure how often we would use the wood stove, but after heating the whole house through a NorEaster this week we have become obsessed with getting more wood!

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the stove. It seems to eat wood pretty quickly. The stove is a Vigilant bought in 1982, anyone have any advice on how to keep wood burning longer but remain hot? Right now if its running between 500-600 it seems to heat the house very well. Wood is seasoned and dry. It has a damper, but I haven't really noticed the stove getting hotter with it closed. Im also not sure on how much wood I should be burning at once, not sure if there is any safety issues with adding too much wood so my fires might be a little on the small side.

Last night with the lights off I noticed a small opening where the pipe connects to the collar on the back side, maybe enough to fit three pieces of paper in. Have CO2 near stove not sure if I need to seal this off.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    Available somewhere on this site is a link to owner's manuals for older Vig.s. It is very informative, and should answer all these questions and more. You'll find many have experience w/these guys, and they can be great heaters, but may need some attention. Happy heating!
  3. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    PM me your email address. I have a Vig manual.
  4. pilfro

pilfro New Member

Thanks I sent a PM
  5. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Sorry for the delay. The email with manual was sent.
  6. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    The temperature will drop when you close the damper, but your wood will get a longer burn that should make up for the lower heat. How much of a temperature drop are you seeing? It should stay in the mid 400s at least.
  7. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    That's interesting that you mention that. That might explain some of the extreme build up you were having with the stove. With the damper closed I could maintain 600+ degrees on the stove top. On colder days I would even close the pipe damper and maintain high temps in the 650-750 range.

That chimney is only 18' in height. It currently is the home to the 30.
    remkel likes this.
  8. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Could be......I prefer to block that year, and last year, from my mind :) knock on wood all is well this year so far