Old-style Mount Vernon Help Request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sklepp

Nov 2, 2010
Central PA
I've run into one of my annual problems getting my old-style Mt. Vernon in working order. Combustion blower runs fine on start up and pellets drop, but the igniter does not glow red. I replaced the igniter with a spare one I happened to have (I've found its useful to have plenty of extra parts on this style), but still get nothing. I've noticed that pressing the reset button does not do anything; it's just soft, not the usual click. The only other thing I can come up with is a bad Snap Disk 1, because the combustion continues to run, but I don't see why that would affect the igniter or the reset button. Any suggestions?

Where do you look to see the ignitor glowing, thru the ash pan? Is the red indicator light glowing on the side by the dial?

Same problem here with my '03-'04 Mt Vernon. Pellets drop, fan runs. Red call light is on. Yellow light flashing in control box and igniter is not coming on. Also have noticed when i hit the reset button, don't get that clicking noise like I use to. This thing has been nothing but problems since i bought it.

My trouble ended up being a faulty thermocouple; after replacing that, it has run just fine although the first time I still had to start it with some alcohol gel and pellets, but once it started burning I hit the reset button and kicked over fine and the igniter has worked ever since. I'm told (and it was the case with my situation) that the computer box will flash a three-blink code if its the thermocouple. Good luck on your fix - I think I've replaced every part on my stove except for the combustion blower and the computer box since I've had it...

Status
Not open for further replies.