Old Tarm HX coil as new HX in storage tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandiapaul

Hearth Supporter
Jun 21, 2008
Central NJ
Greetings,

I have a DHW coil from my older Tarm that I took out a few years ago and replaced with a new one. It was all limed up and did not do its job to well.
I am going to be putting in a storage tank soon and got to thinking...could I de- calcify this old HX and use it in the tank as a HX? I don't know how I would calculate the total are it has...

Just a thought...

What boiler was it from?

Most of these coils are able (when clean) to take almost the entire output of the boiler.......but that may be dependent on the fact that they are designed for cold water input - maybe Brownie or Nofossil can explain whether the same output would apply to warm water input.

No, the domestic coil would not transfer the full output when the temperature difference is that small (when it's getting 45-degree well water, it moves heat a lot better).

You could certainly use it to supplement your coil, though. If it has a flow restrictor in one of the ports, make sure to remove it.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.