Old Triton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David C in MI

Nov 24, 2014
Michigan
Need help on old Triton stove
Posted this in the old stove thread and no one responded.

I have an old 1980 Triton wood stove that was designed for connection into a forced air furnace. The instructions say something like it must ONLY be used with a forced air furnace. I want to hook up the wood stove in my barn without a furnace. Can I do this safely? Do I need any special equipment to make this work. The stove is in great shape and I have purchased the double wall stainless pipe.
Thanks for the potential info.
David C in MI

It depends. Not being familiar with that particular unit I have to ask...does it have its own blower fan? And will you be using ductwork in your barn?
If it has its own forced air fan and you will be blowing in to duct work I don't know of a reason it couldn't be used...BUT...if the manual specifically states not to - you will have no recourse for inspection or if anything goes wrong in the future.

What I can do to help potential views to this thread is to move it to the "classic" forum (where it belongs) but leave a several day long redirect. That way it can be viewed from both locations.

Thank you for your response, and help. It does have a blower on the bottom of the unit to bring in cold air and I was not going to use duct work.

I really don't have too much in the way of words of wisdom but would like to at least acknowledge that you are intending to use this unit in a manor it wasn't designed for. I don't know if the lack of duct work will have any sort of negative affect (cooling the heat exchanger too much???) or not. Or if there is any electrical controls that you will need to consider (vents, draft controls, thermostat, etc.)

This is just stuff off of the top of my head to take into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.