Old woodburners never die

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motor7 said:
Marty S said:
You must realize much legislation passed into law is to protect the majority from the brain dead minority.

Aye,
Marty
Grandpa used to say, "We have seen the enemy and it is us."

Very true in many cases. However, it's the legislation aimed to protect that brain dead minority that I have problems with....and there are is ton of it with more on the way. I have no problems with an insurance company saying, "We want your home up to our code before insuring you." That leaves the insured a choice, either comply with the rules, or get insurance elsewhere, or don't get it at all. But a state/county code or law takes away that choice to be brain dead....& I'm thinking that Darwin would have a problem with this un-natural propagation...;>].

RD

I agree. We are the sum of our choices.

Some believe it is a measure of a society that aids and protects "all" its citizens. (I know, we are falling short) In my lifetime, I recall one who tried it the other way and failed.

Aye,
Marty
Gandhi once said, "Our beliefs determine our destiny."

Random thoughts . . .

Folks that say "well that may be illegal where you are, but it isn't illegal here" . . . is this in fact true and that the State agency in charge of fire codes specifically did not/did opt to follow the code or a specific part of the code . . . or is it a matter where the code is on the books, but no one enforces that code. I can tell you that here in Maine for example, woodstoves are not allowed in garages -- but that said there is no way any Fire Marshal would be enforcing that code since a) they don't have man-power to cover the entire state and b) Maine tends to have the "every man's home is a castle" philosophy. Even in the big cities, like Bangor, we only bother enforcing these codes in homes when the home is a newly built home . . . or when there is a problem (i.e. reported violation from a neighbor, service worker, etc.)

Folks that say "well I've know So and So and they've done this all their life and never had a fire" . . . my feeling here is that just because someone is lucky and has not had any issues does not make something any more safer. I mean to say, in theory you could check the gasoline level in your splitter by using a match for light . . . and you could get away with it for a number of times . . . but then there is that one time when you get a little too close, there are a few too many vapors, etc. . . . and then it's sayonora splitter. What I'm saying here is that while I am not a Fire Code Nazi . . . many, many of these codes are in the books for a reason . . . many were created out of very real fires and very real fatalities . . . most were not created from Mythical Well-Maybe-This-Could-Potentially-Lead-To-A-Fire thinking.

Folks who question if they should say something about a potential illegal hook-up: My feeling . . . it's not your job . . . and I certainly don't think folks should be going around and spilling the proverbial beans on their neighbors. As another member mentioned, there is the right way and wrong way to do things . . . asking about a potential problem or pointing out a potential problem is one thing. Calling the authorities on them is another . . . to me the three folks who have the authority to make a change are Inspectors (as mentioned usually brought in on a referral from a contractor or from someone on a serice call), the actual person involved with the appliance (i.e. in the case of a woodstove being in garage this may be the Chimney Sweep) or the Insurance Agent who is insuring the home. Ultimately, the onus of responsibility is on the home owner . . .

firefighterjake said:
Random thoughts . . .
Folks who question if they should say something about a potential illegal hook-up: My feeling . . . it's not your job . . .
There is something in law known as due diligence. If you think it's not your job and that you have no moral obligation, then you best keep your mouth shut both before and after the fire. If you were to blab to others that you "saw that coming" but said nothing, you could find yourself in court being sued for negligence.

The case may hinge upon your "expertise" but don't count on it to save your butt. A chimney sweep would be expected to take due diligence further than a neighbor but if it can be proved that you knowingly withheld information, well... good luck to you.

firefighterjake said:
Random thoughts . . .

Folks that say "well that may be illegal where you are, but it isn't illegal here" . . . is this in fact true and that the State agency in charge of fire codes specifically did not/did opt to follow the code or a specific part of the code . . . or is it a matter where the code is on the books, but no one enforces that code. I can tell you that here in Maine for example, woodstoves are not allowed in garages -- but that said there is no way any Fire Marshal would be enforcing that code since a) they don't have man-power to cover the entire state and b) Maine tends to have the "every man's home is a castle" philosophy. Even in the big cities, like Bangor, we only bother enforcing these codes in homes when the home is a newly built home . . . or when there is a problem (i.e. reported violation from a neighbor, service worker, etc.)

. . .

I just called our local fire dept. and asked about woodburning stoves in a detached garage. He said as far as he knew, they were legal as long as they were installed to the manufacturer's specs but that I should talk to someone in the "building code dept.", to be sure. I called and talked to the head honcho there and he said they were legal as long as they were installed to the manufacturer's specs.
As so many have stated here, safety is up to the homeowner. Much the same as taking care not to concentrate varnish fumes or paint fumes in your basement near a furnace or gas water heater.
At my former residence, I had a 5KW electric heater mounted from the ceiling in my garage. No problems there and I of course admit that a woodburner in the garage requires more diligence. But living off-grid, any kind of electric heater ...even a small space heater ...is just not done. Burning wood is a neccesary thing. It reqires no electricity and is sustainable.
We still have a few freedoms in some parts of the country where we aren't being legislated/regulated/managed to death.
And the onus is on me.....and I like that.

Went by the mechanics garage this morning and he was loading the stove with the paper parts of used oil filters into the stove, said they work great as fire starters. Said the EPA inspector that would come by thought this was a great way to dispose of the paper part of oil filters in that manner rather than going to the land fill. That stove really turns into a smoker when he does that....

Mr Chips said:
firefighterjake said:
Random thoughts . . .

. . .

I just called our local fire dept. and asked about woodburning stoves in a detached garage. He said as far as he knew, they were legal as long as they were installed to the manufacturer's specs but that I should talk to someone in the "building code dept.", to be sure. I called and talked to the head honcho there and he said they were legal as long as they were installed to the manufacturer's specs.
As so many have stated here, safety is up to the homeowner. Much the same as taking care not to concentrate varnish fumes or paint fumes in your basement near a furnace or gas water heater.
At my former residence, I had a 5KW electric heater mounted from the ceiling in my garage. No problems there and I of course admit that a woodburner in the garage requires more diligence. But living off-grid, any kind of electric heater ...even a small space heater ...is just not done. Burning wood is a neccesary thing. It reqires no electricity and is sustainable.
We still have a few freedoms in some parts of the country where we aren't being legislated/regulated/managed to death.
And the onus is on me.....and I like that.

Well there you have it . . . sounds like your State . . . or at least community . . . has chosen to not enforce that aspect of 211 (either that or they are not aware of that part) . . . so hearing that I would say that providing the insurance company also greenlights the install a garage installation would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.