Old Zero clearance fireplace identification help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BadLadd1

Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Hi everyone.

In the process of searching for an insert for my old fireplace. Unfortunately I did not install this one as it came with the house. House was built in 1985. I was told I cannot put an insert in unless I have the UL listing of the exiting fireplace. I have attached a few pics. I did find 2 riveted plates on the door housing. I tried cleaning them but the only identification I can find is R62185. Nothing else.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0896.jpg IMG_0898.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing underneath. Looked all over. Yes. pair of blowers. It looks like a Majestic, but again I cannot find a Majestic with the R62185 #, and hence cannot find a UL for it.

Look in the door frame for a metal tag with model info.

Nothing underneath. Looked all over. Yes. pair of blowers. It looks like a Majestic, but again I cannot find a Majestic with the R62185 #, and hence cannot find a UL for it.

Generally an "R" designation indicates a RADIANT fire place, & that style does NOT have blowers. "C" style or CIRCULATING fire places have blowers. The "R" on your plate might mean something else entirely...

According to Majestic the rating plate is in the inside top of the firebox. Not sure if this applies to old models.

I s the builder still in business? Do any of your neighbors have similar units?
I'm wondering if 62185 (6/21/85) is the build date for the fire place...

Reactions: begreen
Good thought on that #. No clue who built the house.

On the pic with the doors open you can see the 2 tags in the upper corners by the door hinges. I cleaned those up. One on left has the #'s

OK, After painless hours of searching, I have found the following. This is a Superior Fireplace. Model # 1038. I also missed a # from my previous post. The # is R621856. Now I need a manual or something I can prove it's a UL listed unit. I'm googling my brains out and cannot locate anything yet.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks all.