Older Prefab w/ Gas Log Set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Errant

Feb 12, 2017
So Cal
i wasn't sure if I should post here or in the wood FP section, but I have an older prefab wood FP (Majestic M28) in my upstairs bedroom that has a gas log set in it. From what I've been reading, it sounds like this sort of setup may be sucking more warm air out of the house than it actually provides. Is this correct?

Is there an economical way to make this setup more efficient? I'm not looking to heat my whole house with it, but would prefer not to have it suck out warm air during the Winter and would be nice if it were able to heat my room when the power goes out on occasion (I'm in the mountains of So Cal, so do get snowy Winters).

What would you experts suggest?

Not only is it sucking HEATED air out of your home, a gas log set in a bedroom just might be illegal (& deadly).
Code says you need to have 50 cubic feet of air for every 1000 BTU (input) of your gas log set.
Because I do not know what set/burner size you have, or how large your bedroom is, I can't tell you if it's safe or not.

Not only is it sucking HEATED air out of your home, a gas log set in a bedroom just might be illegal (& deadly).
Code says you need to have 50 cubic feet of air for every 1000 BTU (input) of your gas log set.
Because I do not know what set/burner size you have, or how large your bedroom is, I can't tell you if it's safe or not.

Even when installed in a wood burning fireplace with chimney pipe running straight up and out the ceiling? I open the damper when burning, close it when not. Room is ~250 square feet, with cathedral ceiling.