Older stove adaptation to a liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nickyv0021

Oct 17, 2023
Independence Kentucky
I have purchased an older stove that is in excellent condition and it was originally manufactured to be a slammer set up. A member here, "69_Eliminator" has a thread on here where he modified a stove very similar to mine and mounted and sealed an adapter for a liner onto the stove.

The two ways I see making this work is to completely cut or remove the damper off of the stove, so I can mount the adapter for the liner. Would not having a damper on my stove be a big deal with running a liner? In one of his pictures it looks like he is still running a damper, so I'm wondering if he uses a piece of steal or something to prop it open and does this manually by hand. Doing this he probably removed the linkage to control it which allowed him to mount the adapter.

I have a liner and a professional that will do the installation I just don't have the funds for a new stove. At input would be appreciated.

I have purchased an older stove that is in excellent condition and it was originally manufactured to be a slammer set up. A member here, "69_Eliminator" has a thread on here where he modified a stove very similar to mine and mounted and sealed an adapter for a liner onto the stove.

The two ways I see making this work is to completely cut or remove the damper off of the stove, so I can mount the adapter for the liner. Would not having a damper on my stove be a big deal with running a liner? In one of his pictures it looks like he is still running a damper, so I'm wondering if he uses a piece of steal or something to prop it open and does this manually by hand. Doing this he probably removed the linkage to control it which allowed him to mount the adapter.

I have a liner and a professional that will do the installation I just don't have the funds for a new stove. At input would be appreciated.
Pictures of the stove outlet would help

Pictures of the stove outlet would help
Yes absolutely.... Here are some pictures of the damper and back side of the stove as well as the link to the adapter I bought.

The two last pictures of the stove in the fireplace and with the adapter mounted to the stove is the other guys I'm trying to mimick.

Again can I just delete my damper completely on my stove and be okay?

Or should I just construct some sort of metal wedge and manually open and prop up the dampener myself?

My adapter

IMG_20231103_181726026.jpg IMG_20231103_181733442.jpg IMG_20231103_181741390.jpg IMG_20231103_181736875.jpg Screenshot_20231103-190135.png Screenshot_20231103-190121.png

Yeah that's going to either need to be eliminated or seriously reworked with a custom boot made

I tried looking for that thread. Do you have a link saved by any chance?

I actually followed through with it and it's working great. What are some of your questions? I'll answer anything I can to the best of my knowledge.
I just posted this. Looking for advice or solution.