1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Older Wards Franklin Stove

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by AKSean, Jul 22, 2012.

1. AKSean

AKSean New Member

My grandfather purchased this stove used in the late 1970s and it heated his little home for10 years. Its been in storage and I am thinking of restoring it to use in my Alaska cabin. It would not be the primary heat source. It has all its parts (the doors et all are removed in the photo), just some new mica. However, in reviewing other posts, I am concerned that those of you in the know might suggest that I should destroy the thing and get something newer. I don't want to make a mistake. It has a Montgomery Wards emblem on the back. Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Welcome Sean. The stove appears to be in decent shape. If there are no cracks and everything works well it might be fine for occasional use in a cabin. How well it will work depends on the cabin size, time of year and the number of days you will be heating. The stove will need generous clearances to combustibles and a proper flue/chimney + hearth to be safe. Is there a UL tag on back specifying clearances?
  3. AKSean

AKSean New Member

Thanks, no cracks or significant corrosion and unfortunatley no UL tag. I'll play it safe. I'll consult with a local installer on the flue chimney. Thanks again.