Q&A older woodstoves - reducing clearance to walls.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am installing a woodstove in my home. I need to know how far it should be from the walls. If I use brick as the hearth, how far does it need to extend from the woodstove for safety. How high does it need to go up the wall for safety. How thick must all be. What are the codes for the state of Maryland.

Answer:

This depends very much on the brand and model of the stove. If it is an older stove without a manual, then the "common" standards written by NFPA or some of the other code authorities will apply.

As an example: 36" from wall-no protection 12" from wall with sheet metal spaced 1" from wall 16" on floor in front of stove loading door.

Status
Not open for further replies.