Olso F500 - Loose door handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is cold and snowy here, 18" of fresh powder and in the mid twenties. My new Olso is keeping us toasty, in the mid-70s. One small problems I am noticing is that my side door, the one I load through and use the most, has a nice knob handle. This knob is circular and is not metal so it is not as hot to touch. However, it seems to get loose and I have to retighten it. Anyone experiencing this problem? Any solutions? I am thinking of getting a lock washer. When I bought the stove, it was on display and missing the knob. So the dealer installed the knob that is now on it.

I'd take it all apart and compare it with the diagram in the manual. There is supposed to be a sleeve that fits inside of the knob so that when the knob screw is tightened, it tightens against the sleeve and not the knob. I'm guessing that the nut on the end of the knob screw should be a locking type, though a lockwasher there would work as well.

Thanks BeGreen. I check whether the sleeve was installed when they installed the knob. Just loaded the stove for the overnight burn so it will have to wait till tomorrow. I was thinking about a lock nut, but don't they use plastic in those to achieve the "lock"? May be there are other types that I am not familiar with

Yes good point, or nylon. Probably unlikely that Jotul used that now that I think of it. But if it fused to the screw threads, it might make one heckuva locknut.

Mine seems loose every now and then. Just screw it in and be happy. I tend to almost twist with each close to make sure it is tight.
Chad

You can buy lock nuts not of the nylon variety. A quality fastener store will have what you need. The type I am referring to either are aircraft style, or a Bowman product called a Bowmalock. Its outer face is crimped in three places giving it the appearance of being an oval. They are a great product. I will never come loose on a stove door handle application.

The key here is go looking for what you need at fastener store.

Another option, as this is a small screw, is take a file to the last few threads of the screw. Take a file and run it across 3 or 4 threads. This gives the locking effect once the nut is run up on it. Another trick is put a dab of clear fingernail polish on the threads and run the nut up on it. When it dries, nuts on.

Permatex makes different grades of liquid lock solution. Blue is the everyday stuff which works on most things you might take apart. Red needs heat to remove but is a lot stronger. Take your pick either one is but a couple bucks at any auto parts store. Personally I just "bung up" the outer threads a bit with a file in many cases as it's free and easy. It all works for something like what you are doing.

I have a screw/nut on a shower door track guide that would loosen up about every 1.5 years. It's a booger to get at and no fun to fix. I tried Permatex and that didn't work much longer. The last fix I put some super glue on the threads before tightening it up. That seems to be working pretty well. Going on about 4 yrs. since then.

I've tightened my handle's over the years. Mine don't turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.