olympic is it a long lasting stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidb

Hearth Supporter
Mar 23, 2008
upstate, new york
was wondering if the olympic handles aging well, i have the pennies, i'm torn between a olympic which is steel and a oslo jotul which is cast. people say that cast last forever and that steel warps. well hope somebody can help thanks.

My Olympic is 10 years old and is just in need of some maintenance this year, including some firebricks and misc internal stuff. I cannot believe that any stove out there would survive the first 10 years any better than this. And I do not baby this thing - I cook it hot from November through April - usually.

This past winter I was given (free!) an Olympic insert that is from 1996. For the last year or so it sat in a garage. I talked to the guy that owned it before me (he switched to OWB) and the secondary tubes were newer and the firebricks as well. A couple on the bottom of the stove had minor cracks but nothing major. Only thing I needed to do was replace the glass on the door, some gaskets and upgrade the blower.

When my wife first looked at the insert she was worried about it being safe and thought it looked like crap. I wired brushed the whole stove and painted it with stove paint. Once she saw the stove, she could not believe how nice it looked and I have been burning the last 1/2 of the winter with it. Works awesome and looks great. As Webmaster stated, other than minor stuff, I do not see how the stove could not last for a very long time. The design of the Olympic is quite simple with very few parts that need attention over time.

My father in law has had one for over 10 years and now I am happy to say I bought one last week. His stove works very well and he has had no problems at all. My jealousy finally got the best of me and I bought a nice freestanding with ash pan, gold trim, and pedestal and I am very happy with it. It is a sharp, very hot burning stove.

I would choose the Avalon again if I needed another stove, but 2 in my house is enough (for now..... :)

you can go to my current post of "Just bought It, updated 4-8-2008 with pics" To see some nice pics and a cheesy video that I took with my cell phone yesterday. Again, I love this stove

well thanks for all your guys input i think through the past couple of months my research has paid off. i will be buying a nice olympic stove. first things first my son will be born here in a couple of weeks , so that comes first and then the stove. again thanks for all the help answering my questions .

Status
Not open for further replies.