Olympic or Summit, Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the Avalon manual isnt specific, I just looked. It jsut states that it can handle a 24" split. It also does not state what the actual depth of the firebox is! Guess I will have to get out the ol tape! :)

I've run the Summit both ways loading and the front to back is more of a clean uniform burn. You can also change your heat setting loading front to back ..................

**When loading front to back you can place your splits and rounds tight , loose or whatever and that will change the burn ...............

#1 (longer burn) When loading front to back you can char the front of the logs a little at the front then turn it down and you'll get a longer cigar burn ( when charing the wood do so on a lower setting as so just to char the front of the load )

#2 (hotter burn) When loading front to back you can run the pile a little more loose and char the load on high damper and the charing will go between the logs and char more of the wood and then tun it down in stages and this chars more of the load and also gets the firebox / burn chamber / stove hotter then when you turn it down your get a hotter running fire.

End the end running the new load and charing it like #1 or #2 tho you turn down the damper all the way to the same setting the stove will run different.

#3 (Normally longer burn not as hot / clean) Loading side to side you can get longer burn times with normally less over all heat , When loading side to side it will be like a cigar burn burning the front log first , then the next and then to the back of the load ..........with this method your normally burning just 1 log or a few logs at a time but in the end you will have hot coals in the front and the back of the load yet to be burned or still burning. (model stove will very )

#4 Hog mentioned the "cave burn" and it can be seen here in this thread with pictures --->
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6334/

Hogwildz said:
Roospike said:
The owners manual for the Summit states front to back loading. I also load front to back.

Looks like Hog answered most all the questions on loading so I'll just sit back and put in a silly smiley-----------------> %-P

I'm still too new to be doing all this work. After all I am only a Neanderthal. Now git to work Roo!!!!!!!!!! :)
BTW, I just love the new Geico commercial :)

Dont think I've seen the new Geico commercial , I'll have to keep an eye out for it . Every time i watch TV i fall asleep. :-/

Roo what about front to back bottom splits and east west above. have you tried it that way? a If so what are the results?

I know I asked , someone has to keep these PE threads going.

elkimmeg said:
Roo what about front to back bottom splits and east west above. have you tried it that way? a If so what are the results?

I know I asked , someone has to keep these PE threads going.

I have tried this, and do so once in a while. It works well for me, good for heat, burn times don't appear quite as long as a cigar slow burn. But it does put great heat out.
I usually do this during the day with 3 splits N&S, then another 3 E&W on top. I do it mainly because I have some longer pcs that don't fit North to South, but will fit East to West. Have to burn them somehow. :)

Yep , Same here as Hog stated. The only thing i dont like about front to back on the bottom and side to side on top is that the bottom logs burn faster and has the chance for the front top log to roll off / fall off into the glass or roll down infront of the main air inlet.

Now i will run front to back on the bottom and place one side to side log in the back. But as far as burning better with the one log sideways in the back i dont see a huge difference. As hog has noted maybe just to place in a odd long size works.

well I tried the bottom N to South..It works remarkably better in my Olympic. Almost like night and day better. With the large firebox, I can easily load 4 wide on the bottom and then perpendicular 3-4 on top. I am getting much more even burns and the ash left at the end is really find with few remaining large black chunks left.. I am sold, this is the way that I will load from now on! thanks for the insight! It has proven most useful to me..I still have to measure the inside N to S dimensions of my firebox so that I can buck up my logs to the correct length this spring.

Hi Guys,

Good thread. I actually tried the front back yesterday in my Isle Royale. It worked wonderfully. I turned the air down just as Gunner suggested and I got over 4 hrs (I timed it this time) of good heat (500+). I cannot remember that happening before.

Tonight, I will try the front back and east west on top loading and see how that works.

thanks for the advise

Carpniels

yup, I hear you there..that is by far the best way to load these front loading stoves in my opinion now!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
yup, I hear you there..that is by far the best way to load these front loading stoves in my opinion now!

For your overnight burn, try loading the box full, with all the splits front to back. Let us know how that works for you.

ok, I will try it tonght rather than perpendicular for the second course..

Adirondackwoodburner said:
ok, I will try it tonght rather than perpendicular for the second course..

I only suggest this, because for me, when I load them cross stacked, it burns faster. Good for hotter, not good for longer for me.
Just curious if its the same case with the Olympic.
Let us know if there is a noticeable burn time difference? Of course you secondary is set up different. Might even be better for you stacking the top perpendicular to the burn tubes. Not sure. We have a baffle, no burn tubes. Try it and see how it goes. Either way, you will be finding your optimum setup for burning.

exactally, I will try it out tonight..wont get back to the net until Tuesday though for the update!

Well, I tried out the theory over the past long Presidents Day weekend. The first night I loaded all of my logs N to S..I believe I put in 5-6 splits and achieved the best burn time/heat output of the year..The next night I did the same and did not have th best results, the third night It was ok but nothing like the first night. My guess is that I had some big pieces in the first night and not as bid the other two. I still get the best burn/hottest temps with the bottom in the N to S and the top in the W to E profiles..At the moment, that is the way I will continue to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.