1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

OMG, do I really have to noodle cherry?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Jon1270, Mar 20, 2013.

1. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Cherry is one of the rounds I'd leave to split in January
    seemed to split easier - nice straight sections anyway
    too may others I would need a second or third wedge to get the first and second wedges - unwedged-.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    My FIL had some cherry (tree was growing at the edge of a field) and it was a monster. 3 ft. diameter at the base, with branches and knots all over. It laughed at the mall, but the sledge and wedge was able to quarter most of the pieces. There was one ridiculous piece that I "accidentally" knocked down the hill into the woods. FIL has a log splitter, horizontal, but I didn't think we (by we I mean I) could lift all the pieces without hurting my back. In answer to Heath's question, I do think it will be close to ready, keep it off the ground and top-covered, plenty of wind. May not be fully seasoned but should be close.
  3. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    cherries around here die long before they get that big....
  4. Bret Chase

Loc:
    Maine
    There's a reason why I use a fieldline cherry round for a chopping block.... lol
    Shane N likes this.
  5. Bret Chase

Loc:
    Maine
    that is pretty.... I've been toying with taking one of the cherry rounds I haven't split yet and making a few cutting boards out of it...
  6. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Jon,
    I get out to Pittsburgh every month or so for business. If you want, feel free to set aside whatever you're unable to split and I'll bring out my diesel splitter and let you use it for the weekend. I got 1 1/2 cords of good locust from that thread you posted last fall and I'd be happy to return the favor.
    Brian
  7. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I've got a couple of wedges stuck in a 3ft ash round. Well, it's not 3ft anymore, but what is left swallowed my wedges. It currently resides in my "I'll get to one day when I rent a splitter pile"

8. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the offer, Brian. Being unfamiliar with diesel splitters, I searched and found your thread from last year, when you acquired that splitter. Looks like fun, but probably overkill for my situation. I don't have enough of that cherry to make it worth your time.

On the other hand, my neighbor will be taking down a big white oak sometime soon, and for that the splitter would be tempting if not for the fact that the rounds will probably be too heavy to lift onto it.
  9. oldspark

oldspark Guest

In Iowa it would be as I did it a couple of years ago, was not going to burn it that winter but it was below 20% so I burnt it and it burnt very well, If I remember right it was at 17%.